Paramount Plus may be a relatively new streaming service.
But they already boast of an incredible movie library.
Including classics like The Godfather and Titanic.
If you couldn’t get the app to work on your Firestick though…
You might miss out on those old favorites.
Good thing there are fixes available.
Continue reading to find out:
- 9 effective ways to fix your Firestick’s Paramount Plus issue.
- How to fix network connection problems through the Firestick menu.
- How to clear your Paramount Plus app’s cache and data to get it to work.
- How to keep both your Firestick OS and the Paramount Plus app up to date.
- And this is just the beginning…
Why is Paramount Plus not working on my Firestick?
Paramount Plus isn’t working on your Firestick because you’re having network connection issues. A quick solution would be to reboot your modem and router. It’s also possible that the Paramount Plus app’s cache files got corrupted. To resolve that, you can just delete and then reinstall the app.
Paramount Plus not working on Firestick: 9 fixes
#1: Check if Paramount Plus is down
A brief history about Paramount Plus.
It was actually called CBS All Access back in 2014. Back then, it only featured CBS TV shows.
It eventually expanded to include movies and original series. And it was relaunched as Paramount Plus in early 2021.
So it’s a relatively new streaming service. At least compared to competitors like Netflix, HBO Max, and Disney Plus.
And glitches do happen periodically. To their credit, though, they’re always quick to resolve them.
So if Paramount Plus isn’t working on Firestick, it’s likely because of an issue on their end.
Their servers may be down. Or they’re experiencing some service interruptions.
To easily check, you may visit their “Is Paramount Plus down” web page.
Now, what can you do if it’s down?
Simply wait for their engineers to resolve the issue. Paramount Plus’ outages never last long.
They usually last less than half an hour. So you won’t have to wait long before you can enjoy streaming again.
#2: Check if you’re having problems with your internet connection
Paramount Plus doesn’t have an option for streaming in Standard Definition (SD). You can only stream in High Definition (HD).
And this is one of their main differences from Netflix.
With Netflix, if your internet is slow, you simply downgrade to SD. It only needs 1 Mbps to stream smoothly.
With Paramount Plus’ HD-only streaming, you’d need a download speed of at least 4 Mbps.
So if your internet is slow or intermittent…
You’ll struggle to get Paramount Plus to work on your Firestick.
To check exactly how fast your internet speed is, you may do the following:
- Go to Google’s home page.
- Type in “internet speed test”.
- Press the “Run Speed Test” button.
If you’re indeed having connection issues…
You may perform a power cycle on your modem and router.
A power cycle means resetting an electronic device. And it solves many technical issues.
The process is really simple:
- Unplug your modem and router from the outlet.
- Wait for about 15 to 30 seconds.
- Plug both devices back in.
Once both of them have completely rebooted, you may try to relaunch Paramount Plus.
Troubleshooting WiFi connection through Firestick
You may also check the status of your connection via the Firestick menu.
Here’s how to check if you’re actually connected to WiFi:
- From the home page, click the Settings menu.
- Navigate to Network and click it.
- Look for your network name.
- Press the Play button on your remote.
You should see a message indicating whether you’re connected or not.
If you’re not connected or are struggling to connect, do the following:
- Navigate to WiFi.
- Toggle it off and then on.
Afterward, follow these steps to forget your WiFi network:
- Go back to the main Settings menu.
- Select Network.
- Look for your network name.
- Press the Menu button on your remote.
- Click the Select button on your remote.
And finally, try to reconnect:
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Click Network.
- Select your WiFi network.
- You’ll be asked to enter your password. Type it in.
- Click Connect.
Once you’ve reconnected…
Check again if you’re now able to stream from Paramount Plus.
#3: Perform a power cycle on your Firestick
We did mention doing a power cycle on your modem and router.
But you can also do that on your Firestick. Especially since it’s also possible that there’s no issue with Paramount Plus. And it’s your Firestick that’s glitching.
Now there are 3 ways to reset your Firestick:
- By unplugging it.
- Through a remote shortcut.
- Through the Settings menu.
We’ll be providing steps for each method.
Method #1: By unplugging
- Unplug your Firestick from your TV.
- Unplug it from the power outlet.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Plug your Firestick back into the TV.
- Plug it back into the power outlet.
Method #2: Remote shortcut
- Press and hold the Play button and the Select button on your remote. The Select button is the big circular one.
- Don’t let go of the hold until you see a message on your screen. It should say “Your Fire TV Stick is Powering off”.
Method #3: via the Settings menu
- On your Firestick’s home page, click the Settings icon.
- Navigate to My Fire TV.
- Click the Restart option.
For many users, a simple Firestick restart is enough to fix their Paramount Plus issue.
If you’d like a visual guide for those 3 methods, you may check out this video below:
#4: Clear the Paramount Plus app’s cache
Cache refers to temporary files that are stored by apps.
With Paramount Plus, these caches include your search history. As well as movies or shows that you watched and paused.
These temporary files help the app load faster. But sometimes they can get corrupted. And this may cause the app to glitch.
So clearing the app’s cache does help fix nagging issues.
These are the steps to clear your Paramount Plus app’s cache:
- Go to your Fire TV’s home page and select Settings.
- Navigate to Applications then click it.
- Select Manage Installed Applications.
- Select the Paramount Plus app.
- Click the Clear Cache option.
#5: Clear the Paramount Plus app’s data
Now if clearing the Paramount Plus app’s cache doesn’t fix the issue…
You may go ahead and clear its data.
“Wait, what’s the difference?”
The difference is that data includes files like your account info. As well as the movies and series you’ve downloaded. If you’re a Premium subscriber, that is.
Clearing the app’s data resets it to what it was upon initial installation.
The steps are actually similar to clearing cache.
These are the steps:
- Click the Settings icon on the Fire TV’s homepage.
- Select Applications.
- Click Manage Installed Applications.
- Navigate to the Paramount Plus app.
- Click the Clear Data option.
Now that you’ve cleared both the cache and data…
You may try to relaunch the Paramount Plus app.
#6: Uninstall then reinstall Paramount Plus
An alternative to clearing cache and data is to simply uninstall the app.
It’s possible that Paramount Plus wasn’t installed correctly. That’s why it’s not working on your Firestick.
Here are the steps to uninstall the app on your Firestick:
- From the home page, go to Settings.
- Click Applications.
- Go to Manage Installed Applications.
- Select the Paramount Plus app. Then click Uninstall.
- You’ll be asked to confirm. Click Uninstall to finish the process.
After uninstalling, perform a power cycle on your Firestick.
And then proceed with reinstalling the app.
The fastest way is by using your remote’s voice control.
- From the home page click Apps.
- Press and hold the microphone button on your remote.
- Say “search for Paramount Plus”.
- Once the app shows up on your screen, click the Download icon.
#7: Install updates for Firestick and the Paramount Plus app
It’s also important that you keep your Firestick’s firmware up to date.
Outdated firmware may cause problems with your installed apps. Including Paramount Plus.
Now updates are actually automatically installed in Firesticks. But if you’ve not used it for a while, you may have missed out on some updates. So it’s best to manually check.
These are the steps:
- From the home page go to the Settings menu.
- Select My Fire TV.
- Navigate to About and click it.
- Click Check for System Update.
If there are available updates, press the Install button.
In addition, you can also choose to automatically update installed apps.
Here’s how you can do it:
- Click the Settings icon from the home page.
- Navigate to Applications and select it.
- Click Appstore.
- Select Automatic Updates and turn it on.
#8: Perform a factory reset on your Firestick
Doing a factory reset will wipe out all of your Firestick data. Including all the apps you’ve downloaded.
But if you’ve done all the steps…
And your Paramount Plus is still having issues…
Then you may consider doing this.
Here’s how to factory reset your Firestick:
- Press and hold the Back button and the right side of the Select button.
- Wait for about 10 seconds before releasing the hold.
- You’ll see a prompt on your screen. You’ll be asked whether you want to proceed. Click Continue to go through with the reset.
The process should then begin automatically.
#9: Contact Paramount Plus for technical support
If you’ve exhausted all troubleshooting steps…
And Paramount Plus is still not working…
Then it’s best to contact them for technical support.
Just a note before contacting them.
They’ll actually ask for either your IP address or Device ID. So make sure you have either of these.
Here’s how to find out both:
- From the Fire TV home screen, launch the Paramount Plus app.
- Go to Support.
- You’ll see an option for IP address and Device ID. You may click either.
And then take note of the information. You may then proceed to contact Paramount Plus.
You might also like: (11 Fixes) Netflix Not Working On Firestick