Do you know those stories where they turn off their neighbor’s TV with a universal remote?
But looking past that deviousness…
You’re curious whether your Sony TV remote is universal, too.
Well, is it really?
Continue reading to learn:
- 5 surprising facts about your Sony TV remote.
- What makes your Sony remote a universal remote.
- And that’s only the beginning…
- Are Sony TV remotes universal?
- What universal remotes work with Sony TV?
- Can you use a new Sony remote with an old TV?
- Can a Sony TV remote control other devices?
- Can you use a Sony TV without the remote control?
Are Sony TV remotes universal?
Sony TV remotes are universal because they can command your smart home devices. That includes your TV, Home Theater System, smart bulbs, and air conditioning of any brand.
What universal remotes work with Sony TV?
Universal remotes that work with Sony TV are:
This remote allows you to control multiple smart home devices. Not only your Sony TV or any Sony device, but also other gadgets. Regardless of their brands.
And to do that, you have to program your Sony remote to work on your preferred device.
Important: Bear in mind that this remote works using infrared. So, you can’t use them with Bluetooth devices such as Fire Stick and Roku.
To program your Sony RM-VLZ620 remote:
Step 1: On your remote, press and hold the Set button for 3 seconds. The SET indicator light above flashes.
Step 2: Press and hold your preferred Device Select button. The selected button lights up.
Step 3: Look for your device in the code list, then enter the code. This list comprises devices that would work seamlessly in sync with your remote.
The SET indicator light blinks 3 times. This means your desired device can now work with your Sony remote.
But, other devices aren’t found in the code list. That includes Apple TV, Soundbar, air conditioning, etc.
If this is your case, you’d want the original remote “teach” tasks to your Sony remote. This is made possible by transmitting infrared signals between these 2 remotes.
Step 1: Place your Sony and original remotes head-to-head.
Step 2: Using your Sony remote, press and hold the Set button.
Step 3: Press the Select button.
This is found at the center of your Navigation/Arrow buttons.
Step 4: Enter 988.
Step 5: Press your preferred Device Select button.
Step 6: Press the Play button.
- The SET indicator light flashes. You’re now in learning mode.
- Important: Do Step 7 within 30 seconds. Otherwise, you’ll return to Step 4.
Step 7: Using your original remote, press the button you want your Sony remote to learn.
The SET indicator light then flashes 3 times. It means your Sony remote has learned the function.
Step 8: The light on the Device Select button goes off. Press again if you wish your Sony remote to “learn” more tasks.
Step 9: Repeat Steps 7 and 8 to “learn” more tasks. Once done, press the Set button.
Read also: (15 Fixes) Sony TV Turns On By Itself
#2: Logitech Harmony Remotes
Logitech has been at the top of the game in producing universal remotes.
No wonder their Harmony remotes are popular among smart homeowners.
To date, Logitech Harmony remotes are available in 4 kinds:
This is the only one without a Harmony Hub. You can only add your devices by accessing MyHarmony on your PC.
This remote lets you watch on your Sony TV and do other tasks. Such as:
- Dimming your Philips Hue.
- Adjusting your thermostats.
- Tuning your Home Theater System.
It comes with the Harmony Hub, which allows your phone as your other remote.
Furthermore, you can add up to 8 devices with this remote.
You’re in for a treat with this one. It works like the Smart Control that can command up to 8 smart home devices.
The difference lies with the buttons. You can directly control your Philips Hue and smart plugs.
Just like the Smart Control and Companion, the Logitech Harmony Elite can control multiple smart home devices.
And here’s the catch: You can add up to 15 devices with this remote.
Not to mention that it has an LCD screen for your convenience.
Can you use a new Sony remote with an old TV?
You can use your Sony TV remote with an old TV. That’s if your remote uses infrared. Which can sync even with old TVs.
To check if your remote works with infrared, look at the Sony logo at the bottom of your remote. An infrared remote would have the IR logo below it.
You might want to check this video and see it for yourself:
On the other hand, not all Sony TV remotes use infrared. Sony TVs produced since 2019 have been using Bluetooth technology.
So, if you had your Sony TV before 2019, your Sony remote might work with your old TV.
Can a Sony TV remote control other devices?
You can control other devices with the Sony RM-VLZ620 remote.
It lets you “learn” tasks from the remotes of your other devices.
To do that, refer to the instructions above to sync your smart home devices with your Sony TV remote.
Can you use a Sony TV without the remote control?
You can use your Sony TV without your remote. To do that, look for your TV’s Power button and Volume keys.
Step 1: To turn it on, press the Power button in the middle.
Step 2: Press the Power button at least 3 times, then press the Volume keys to do that:
- To select channels.
- To adjust the volume.
- To manage input sources (such as HDMI).
Step 3: To turn your TV off, press and hold the Power button in the middle.
- To switch it on, press the Power button.
- To show the User Interface (UI), press the Power button.
- To navigate the UI, press the Power button.
- To select functions, press and hold the Power button.
- To turn it off, press and hold the Power button.
How to use your phone as a remote for Sony TV
If you’re having a hard time pressing the buttons of your Sony TV…
You might want to use your phone as a remote.
To set up your smartphone as a remote:
- Connect your Sony TV and smartphone to your WiFi network.
- Using your smartphone, launch Video & TV Sideview app.
- Tap the three-lined icon found in the upper left corner.
- Look for Add Device and then select.
- Once your Sony TV is found, select.
- A device registration would pop up. Click Yes.
- Another pop-up will appear. Click Allow.
- Enter your TV’s nickname.
- Tap the three-lined icon again, then look for Remote.
You can now use your smartphone device as a remote for your Sony TV.