“Something went wrong. Please try again.”
6 words. Endless pain.
It’s supposed to be your mobile gateway to the most magical place on the planet.
But if Disney Plus isn’t working on your Firestick, what gives?
Before you lose all hope, try these tips first.
Because like Mickey said, sometimes, all it takes is a little bit of magic.
Or 10 tech fixes.
Read on to find out:
- What error 83 is.
- Tricks to fix the glitch.
- Why Disney Plus isn’t working on your Firestick.
- How to make sure your Disney Plus is compatible with your Firestick.
- And so much more…
Why is Disney Plus not working on my Firestick?
Disney Plus isn’t working on your Firestick because you need to restart or update the app or your Firestick. You may also need to clear cache and data, log out and log back in, try another device, or check geographical restrictions. Also, your Internet may be slow, or the server is down.
Disney Plus not working on Firestick: 9 fixes
#1: Close and reopen the app
The first thing that we’re going to talk about is error 83.
Error 83 is a common error code on Disney Plus. And what it basically means is that you may be streaming on an incompatible device.
The quickest way to check whether it is valid is to open the app and close it again.
And it still is one of the first troubleshooting steps that experts say you should try.
- If you’re using a streaming or gaming console, just close the app.
- If you’re on a phone, swipe up to open your phone’s current running apps, then swipe Disney Plus off that list.
- If you’re on a computer, close the browser that’s running Disney Plus.
If none of these tricks work, let’s go to option number two.
#2: Check for updates
Did you know that paid apps usually release updates every 50-55 days?
In fact, the last update the app posted was on March 8, 2022. Which is super recent.
If it has been more than two months since you have last updated your Disney Plus app, it’s time to see if there are new things for you to download.
Updating your app may also fix error 83 and allow you to start streaming again.
To update your Disney Plus app on your Firestick:
- Go to your main screen and select Disney Plus.
- Click on the “Menu” button on your remote.
- Click on “More Info” from the list of options that you will get.
- Click on “Update”.
#3: Clear cache and data
“What if my app is running on the latest version and it’s still not working???”
Okay, now it’s time to clear the app of its cache and data.
Cached data is data stored on your device for easier access so that you don’t have to re-enter information.
But according to Disney Plus themselves, “Over time, these cached files can get corrupted and lead to streaming issues.”
To clear cache and data of your Disney Plus app on your Firestick:
- Go to Settings.
- Go to Applications.
- Click on “Manage Installed Applications”.
- Find Disney Plus.
- Click on both “Clear Cache” and “Clear Data”.
#4: Log out and log in
If none of these tricks that we’ve mentioned have worked, the next thing to try is to re-enter your login info.
Logging out and logging back in works much like closing and reopening the app, or resetting your Firestick remote.
And sometimes, it’s the magic that needed to happen.
To do this:
- Go to the Disney Plus app on your Firestick TV.
- Scroll to the bottom and click on “Avatar”.
- Click on “Log Out”.
- Log back in again.
#5: Check geo restrictions
This one needs to be asked: Disney Plus is available in your country, right?
Disney Plus is available in over 50 countries in North America, Europe, Latin America, and Asia-Pacific.
Your country should be on this list to enjoy the app.
Also, there may be a sliiiight difference in content across these regions. For example, some titles may not be available to stream in some countries.
“I have used Disney Plus back home but I’m traveling right now, is that why I can’t watch the movie that I want?”
Chances are, yes.
If you’re traveling and using Disney Plus abroad, you can only play shows or movies that are available in your current country.
But if none of these conditions apply to your case but your Disney Plus still won’t work on your Firestick, you can try the following:
- Choose a different show, not the one that you’re trying to watch.
- Wait and see if it plays.
“It still won’t work! This is so frustrating!”
Don’t worry. We still have five other fixes to try.
#6: Test on another device
If you’re not sure whether it is your device or Disney Plus that won’t work, the easy fix is to get another device and see if you can stream the app on it.
This will help you isolate the issue and choose the next course of action, especially for resolving error 83.
According to Disney, Disney Plus runs on the latest Web versions of Windows 7 and later, Chrome OS79 and later, and MacOS 10.9 and later.
It should also work for many mobile and streaming devices, as well as gaming consoles.
To check whether the app works on another device, simply:
- Download or open Disney Plus.
- Enter your login credentials.
- Click on a show or movie.
- Wait to see if it plays.
If Disney Plus plays on another device, then you know the issue is either with your device or the app on your device.
#7: Uninstall and reinstall the app
If streaming is not an issue for your other device(s), what you can do next is to uninstall and reinstall the Disney Plus app on your Firestick.
Here’s a trivia: did you know that, according to a Tune study, about 40% of people reinstall apps?
And 18% of them uninstall and reinstall applications exactly because an app was buggy, and reinstalling it kind of enables a reset.
Which means the app may behave better, after reinstallation.
To uninstall and reinstall Disney Plus on your Firestick:
- Find your main menu sidebar, and then go to Settings.
- Click on “Applications”, then find “Disney+”.
- Click on “Uninstall”.
- Turn off your device, and turn it back on.
- Download Disney+ again.
- Log in with your credentials.
Here’s a quick video on how you can download and install Disney Plus on Firestick, for more guidance:
#8: Update your Firestick
So you’ve checked everything else before you got to this part of the list, but your Firestick still won’t stream your show or movie.
The next thing to try is to update your Firestick itself.
Amazon releases updates every few months, and installing the latest version helps you enjoy your apps better.
A manual update shouldn’t be necessary, as the update should be installed automatically. But it won’t hurt to check if your device missed the latest one.
To do a manual update:
- Go to your Fire TV home screen, click on “Settings”, then “Device”, and then “About”. (Note: If you’re on a first generation Firestick or Fire TV, look for “System” if “Device” is not available.)
- Click on “Check System Update”.
- If there’s a new update, your device will download it automatically.
- Click on “Install System Update”.
And there you have it.
Actually, even if you don’t manually install the update, Amazon Fire TV will automatically install the new patch the next time you restart your TV. Or after 30 minutes of idle time has passed.
#9: Check your Internet speed
Still no go?
Your Internet connection may be the issue.
So before anything else, do you have an active Internet connection?
“Duh, of course, I do. I know I need the Internet to stream Disney Plus.”
Okay, but did you know that there are recommended speeds to enjoy your streaming experience?
Disney recommends 5 Mbps for HD content and 25 Mbps for 4K UHD content.
If your connection isn’t fast enough, there are a couple of things that you can do:
- Power cycle your router by unplugging and replugging it back in after at least 10 seconds.
- Limit connectivity on your other devices to free up bandwidth for your Firestick.
- Install a range extender to amplify Internet signal close to your Firestick.
- Upgrade to a faster Internet data package.
#BONUS: Check if Disney Plus is down
Finally, check if Disney Plus isn’t experiencing streaming issues.
An easy way to check whether Disney Plus is down is to visit DownDetector.