The best way to enjoy HBO Max is on your TV…
And the app should run smoothly on that device. But there could be problems along the way…
Luckily, I’ve figured out what those issues are. And I’ll be sharing fixes for them as well.
Continue reading to learn:
- How to use VPN on your TV to access HBO Max.
- What are the internet requirements to run HBO Max.
- 9 common reasons why HBO Max isn’t working on your TV.
- And a lot more…
- Why is HBO Max not working on my TV?
- 9 reasons why HBO max is not working on your TV
- #1: Your internet connection is slow
- #2: The HBO Max servers are down
- #3: Your TV is having issues
- #4: Your HBO Max app isn’t updated
- #5: HBO Max isn’t available in your region
- #6: There’s a problem with your account
- #7: Your TV’s cache is full
- #8: There are too many devices using your account
- #9: Your HBO Max app is buggy
- BONUS: Your TV isn’t compatible
Why is HBO Max not working on my TV?
HBO Max isn’t working on your TV because of internet problems. Aside from this, the servers for the platform might be down or under maintenance. Other problems to consider include bugs with your TV or app, outdated software, and account problems.
9 reasons why HBO max is not working on your TV
#1: Your internet connection is slow
A common cause of HBO Max problems is the internet.
According to HBO, the streaming platform needs 5mbps to run smoothly. This allows 1080p streaming on your TV.
However, if you want to stream in 4K, shoot for a 50mbps connection.
If you’re not getting the promised speeds from your data plan, contact your service provider ASAP.
Before that, however, do these troubleshooting tips first:
Reset your router
- Turn off your router and unplug it.
- Press and hold the power button for 15-30 seconds.
- Plug it back in and turn on your router.
Switch to a wired connection
- Get an ethernet cable and connect it to the port at the back of your TV.
- Connect the other end to your router.
- Turn on your TV and head to the Network settings.
- Search for wired connections and choose your router.
Reminder: Some smart TVs connect to the internet automatically with a wired connection.
Additionally, you can also bring your router close to your TV.
That’s because a smart TV shouldn’t be more than 20-30 feet away from a router. That’s for your connection to be fast and smooth.
Lastly, there shouldn’t be any physical obstructions blocking the signal. These include:
- Other appliances and furniture.
#2: The HBO Max servers are down
Fun fact: According to its most recent report, HBO Max has over 76.8 million subscribers worldwide.
With that many subscribers, the servers can overload from time to time.
So, check with Downdetector to see if the servers are running fine.
If it’s the servers that are causing problems with your HBO Max, you’ll need to be patient.
Reminder: If you want to be prepared for cases like these, you can download your favorite shows and movies on mobile devices. This lets you access them offline.
How to download HBO Max show offline on a mobile device
- Open the app on your device.
- Choose the film or episode you want to download.
- Tap Download and wait for it to finish.
You can download up to 30 shows on your device. As long as you are subscribed to HBO Max, you can access these online.
#3: Your TV is having issues
Your TV can experience bugs that could prevent HBO Max from working properly.
The easiest way to resolve this problem is by resetting your TV. Start by:
- Turning off your TV.
- Unplugging it.
- Holding the power button and leaving it off for 10-15 seconds.
- Turning it back on.
Reminder: You can reset some TVs from the menu as well. Open your TV’s Settings and look for the reset option there.
#4: Your HBO Max app isn’t updated
The HBO Max app gets updates regularly. These updates introduce new features and shows.
Most importantly, it can fix bugs that cause the app to crash.
Smart TVs automatically update apps as long as it’s connected to the internet. If you want to do it manually, here’s how:
- Look for the HBO Max app.
- Located the Settings icon.
- Select Updates to begin the download.
Reminder: In some TVs, you can access the app settings and info from the General Settings.
#5: HBO Max isn’t available in your region
Did you know? HBO Max isn’t available globally yet.
You can check out if it’s available in your region by going to this HBO page.
Now, don’t feel down if HBO isn’t available in your region yet.
You see, HBO tries to add more regions to the list yearly so wait until yours becomes available.
Note: An alternative way to access HBO Max if you aren’t from these regions is to use a VPN.
However, the process of using a VPN on a TV is more complex since these apps aren’t readily available.
Connecting your router to a VPN
Step 1: Open your browser from your desktop or mobile device.
Step 2: Type in your IP address on the address bar.
Step 3: Log in to your network. The username is ADMIN, and the password is 1234 if this is your first time logging in.
Step 4: Manage your router’s settings to allow your traffic to go through one of the regions above.
Step 5: Connect your TV to the network.
Note: The 4th step varies depending on the router that you have. Check out your router’s manual for better instructions.
It’s also worth reminding that your network speed can suffer when connected to a VPN.
#6: There’s a problem with your account
If your HBO Max account’s subscription ends, you’ll be notified of this when opening the app. You’ll also get an email regarding your account.
Your subscription renews automatically as long as your payment option has sufficient funds. As a reminder, HBO Max accepts these:
Make sure to have enough funds within your payment option for hassle-free renewals. If your plan expires before renewal, you can do it manually by visiting HBO Max.
Here are HBO’s current subscription plans:
- With Ads plan – $9.99/month or $149.99/year.
- Ads-free plan – $14.99/month or $149.99/year.
#7: Your TV’s cache is full
Fun fact: A cache stores data and information for future use. It can help make some apps and websites run faster.
Your smart TV’s cache can be overloaded in time. This can cause your device to slow down.
Moreover, it can cause apps like HBO Max to have problems as well. Clearing caches vary from TV to TV, and here’s how:
On LG TV
- Head to the home screen and open System Settings.
- Select Application Manager.
- Locate HBO Max from the list of apps.
- Highlight app and click Clear Cache.
On Apple TV
- Open Settings.
- Head to General.
- Select Manage Storage.
- Find the HBO Max app and click the bin icon.
- Head back to the App Store and reinstall HBO Max.
On Samsung TV
- Head to Apps.
- Look for the “gear” icon on the top right corner.
- Select HBO Max.
- Select Reinstall.
On Android TV
- Head to Settings.
- Select Apps.
- Look for HBO Max.
- Select Clear Cache.
#8: There are too many devices using your account
You can open your HBO Max account on multiple devices.
Regardless of what your subscription plan is, you can stream on up to 3 devices simultaneously.
Moreover, you can have up to 5 profiles on your account.
It’s easy to check how many devices are using your HBO Max account.
- From mobile or a desktop, access your HBO Max account.
- Select your Profile Icon.
- Select Manage Devices.
- From there, you can log out from some of the devices.
#9: Your HBO Max app is buggy
TV app bugs can be solved by clearing the cache as instructed above.
Aside from that, you can also restart your HBO Max app as well. Do it by:
- Closing the app.
- Restarting your TV.
- Opening the app
This should solve your HBO Max problems. However, if the app is still not running on your TV, call the HBO Max support team for help.
BONUS: Your TV isn’t compatible
Aside from the region compatibility, you should check if your TV is prepared to use HBO Max.
Here’s a list of compatible TVs:
- Apple TV.
- Android TV.
- Amazon Fire TV.
- Xfinity X1 and Flex.
- PlayStation 4 and PlayStation 5.
- Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S.
- Samsung TV 2016 units and later.
- Cox Contour 2 and Contour Stream Player.
I understand. TV compatibility problems can be frustrating. The only way to fix this is to either buy a new TV or wait for HBO Max to launch on older platforms.
Alternatively, you can also view HBO Max from other devices, including:
- PC via a web browser.
Read also: (9 Fixes) HBO Max Not Working On Roku