Many Apple TV users are no strangers to errors on HBO Max.
Crashing. Glitching. Overloading issues on important premier dates…
These are some causes of people’s shared frustrations over HBO Max’s service.
But today, let’s ease up your worries.
I’ve got a big bag of tricks to help you fix HBO Max issues on Apple TV.
Read on to find out:
- Why HBO Max isn’t working on your Apple TV.
- 9 swift fixes to HBO Max not working on Apple TV.
- How to reset HBO Max on Apple TV (and when to do it).
- And so much more…
- Why is HBO Max not working on my Apple TV?
- HBO Max not working on Apple TV: 9 fixes
Why is HBO Max not working on my Apple TV?
HBO Max isn’t working on your Apple TV due to software-related problems. It also fails when the network is too slow or when you have an overloaded cache. Meanwhile, server errors and unsupported Apple TVs are other causes of the issue.
HBO Max not working on Apple TV: 9 fixes
#1: Check Apple and HBO servers
Checking Apple and HBO servers should be a priority when the latter doesn’t work on Apple TV.
It’s possible that the servers encountered a temporary error. And they’re suddenly down.
To rule out server errors on HBO Max, use third-party sites such as Downdetector. This will also keep you updated on the outages that happened in the last 24 hours too.
As for checking Apple TV’s servers, head on to Apple’s dedicated status page to check issues in real-time.
If it happens that HBO Max or Apple TV is down, you can wait for the servers to restore their service.
Or you can watch videos on other streaming platforms while waiting.
Either way, there’s no way to fix server-related issues on your own.
Reading recommendation: Can Alexa Control Apple TV? DIY How-To Guide
#2: Check a random video on HBO
Sometimes, unexpected errors occur. And causes some shows and movies on HBO max to become unavailable.
Although this is likely to be a temporary problem, it’s still annoying.
So try playing a random video from HBO’s library. This way, you can tell whether it’s a platform issue or only with a specific title.
If the other programs on HBO Max play without so much as a buffer…
It means the movie or TV show you played first isn’t available at the moment.
This is a judgment call once again. You can either wait for the title to become available by watching another show.
Or you can report the problem to HBO.
#3: Check and reset your connection
Your connection could be the culprit here.
As you know, streaming sites don’t work without a good internet connection.
“So how fast should my internet be?”
HBO max requires at least 5 Mbps to play HD (high-definition) videos without buffering. And 25 Mbps is necessary if you want to stream in 4K.
Now you can check whether your bandwidth makes the cut…
You can do so by running a quick speed test with Ookla. If the result shows you’re experiencing network issues, reset your internet.
And resetting your network is as easy as 123.
You only need to restart your router to establish a connection with your ISP servers again.
Here’s how to do that:
- Press your router’s power button.
- Disconnect the power cord from the outlet.
- Wait for 20 or 30 seconds.
- Power up your router.
Now, do another speed test after the restart is complete. If the network is still too slow you should contact your ISP and report the issue.
Even more so if you’re paying for high-speed internet but get a mediocre connection at best.
Yet, do consider other factors that affect your connection, like the weather.
And here’s more…
To make sure that your network is always ready for streaming, you should:
- Restart your router at least once a month.
- Put your router in a more central location.
- Place the router closer to your streaming device.
- Use an ethernet cable for a more stable connection.
- If your house is large, with several walls, consider using Wi-Fi extenders.
#4: Refresh your log-in session
Your user data could’ve gotten corrupted or encountered a bug. And that’s why HBO Max is acting up on your Apple TV.
Well, you’re in luck because this is super easy to fix.
You only need to refresh your current session by logging out of your account and signing in once again.
Note: You’ve got to input your log-in credentials after refreshing your session.
Follow these steps to log out of HBO Max on Apple TV:
- Open HBO Max on a browser.
- Log in to your account.
- Go to Profile and look for Manage Devices.
- Find Apple TV and click Sign Out.
After that, go back to your Apple TV. Now check if HBO Max is working again on your device again.
Check out: 5 Steps To Get Apple TV On Samsung TV
#5: Restart Apple TV
What if HBO Max isn’t the only one having problems with your Apple TV?
You probably haven’t checked, but if other applications aren’t working well…
Then your Apple TV’s operating system may be the root of the issue. But don’t worry.
You can easily address this temporary error by restarting your Apple TV.
You see, a system restart is necessary to reload system files and other important resources.
And there are three ways how to restart an Apple TV:
- On your Apple remote, press the Back and TV buttons together.
- Wait for your TV’s light to blink several times.
- Disconnect Apple TV’s power cable from the outlet.
- Wait for 10-15 seconds.
- Plug the power cable again.
- Open your TV’s Settings.
- Select System.
- Then click Restart.
- Follow the instructions on-screen to complete the reboot.
As always, check the HBO Max app after restarting your Apple TV is complete.
#6: Update the HBO Max app
There could be pending updates that your system hasn’t installed completely.
And these are what’s causing HBO Max to not work on your Apple TV.
Note that updates are available from time to time. They’re very important for your apps to work right as they fix bugs and other errors.
Thus, you should check for updates every once in a while. Although most apps have auto-update features, you still need to check.
Below are the steps to update HBO Max on your Apple TV:
- Open the App Store on your Apple TV.
- Go to the Purchased tab next.
- Look for HBO Max among all other installed apps.
- Then click Update right next to the HBO Max app.
“I updated HBO Max, but the problem remains.”
If that’s the case, you need to reset HBO Max altogether.
The app might have problems during installation. Or some files got corrupted while in use.
Here’s how to reset HBO Max on Apple TV:
- On the home screen, highlight HBO Max.
- Press your Apple TV remote Touch Surface.
- Wait for the icons to wiggle, then click on the remote’s Pause/Play button.
- Click Delete.
- Finally, open App Store and install HBO Max once again.
Then, re-launch the HBO Max application and see if resetting it fixed the problem.
#7: Update your Apple TV’s OS
“Do I need to update my Apple TvOS?”
Updating your Apple TV’s operating system or OS is a must. Otherwise, HBO Max wouldn’t work with your device.
Believe it or not, there are bugs in Apple TV’s firmware too. And these cause problems with your applications.
“How can I update my Apple TV?”
To update Apple TV manually:
- Open Settings.
- Go to System.
- Click Software Updates.
- Then select Update Software.
- If there are updates, click Download and Install.
Alternatively, you can enable auto-update on your Apple TV, so you don’t miss out on important updates.
Follow steps 1 to 3 above and select Automatically Update followed by On.
Note: Despite turning on the auto-update feature on Apple TV, checking is still advised. This is to ensure your device is running the latest OS.
Watch this video to know the latest TvOS version available:
#8: Factory reset your Apple TV
If nothing else is working, then you’ve got no other choice but to perform a factory reset.
A factory or hard reset restores your Apple TV to its original settings. This is handy if you want to solve persistent errors on your device.
Remember that a factory reset erases all your information and preferences. It deletes all downloaded content on your Apple TV.
Warning: A hard reset is permanent and irreversible. It’ll wipe everything out.
By the way, performing a factory reset depends on what device you’re using.
To reset an Apple TV HD or Apple TV 4K
- Open Settings, then go to System.
- Select Reset.
- Choose between these reset options:
- Reset and Update: Perform a factory reset and install the necessary software-related updates. This needs an active internet connection.
- Reset: This is a faster option to do a factory reset. And doesn’t call for an internet connection.
- Wait for the reset process to finish.
To reset or restore 3rd gen Apple TV (or earlier)
- Open Settings.
- Go to General, then click Reset.
- Choose one:
- Reset all settings: This will completely reset the settings and other device configurations. It also deletes all user accounts and data.
- Restore: This resets your Apple TV into default settings and installs needed updates. This needs a good internet connection.
- Wait for the reset or restore to complete.
Note: Your Apple TV needs to stay connected to the power source until the reset is complete.
After which, set up your Apple TV again and download HBO Max.
#9: Check if HBO supports your Apple TV model
Apple TVs are expensive, and it’d be a shame if you can’t use them for streaming your HBO Max favorites.
If you have the 2nd or 3rd gen of Apple TV…
The most ideal way to stream HBO Max is through web browsers.
You might also like: (13 Fixes) Hulu Not Working On Apple TV