So you just bought an Amazon Firestick.
You’re really excited to use it.
You tried to search for Netflix. So you can install it.
But it isn’t even available.
Frustrating, I know.
The good thing is… There are ways to fix that.
Continue reading to find out:
- Why your location is preventing you to install Netflix.
- What sideloading means and how it can help you to download Netflix.
- How to easily bypass geographical restrictions to get Netflix on your Firestick.
- 3 ways to restart your Firestick and why doing so can help with your Netflix issue.
- And this is just the beginning…
Why is Netflix unavailable on my Firestick?
Netflix is unavailable on your Firestick due to geographical restrictions. One way to fix it is to change your Amazon account location to the US. You’ll have to log in to your Amazon account via a web browser to do that. Another workaround is to download and install a VPN service on your Firestick.
Netflix unavailable on Firestick: 5 fixes
#1: Change your Amazon account location to the US
The Netflix app doesn’t come pre-installed with Firestick.
You’ll have to search for it. Then download it and install it.
And if you’ve tried to do that…
And Netflix is unavailable…
It’s usually because of your location.
According to Amazon’s official website, Firestick content varies per country.
And the full functionalities of Fire TV devices are only available in a few countries.
Some of these countries include:
- United States.
- United Kingdom.
Even if Netflix is actually available in your country via a Smart TV. Or a phone or a laptop.
It’s still possible that you wouldn’t be able to install it on your Firestick. If Amazon set content restrictions in your country.
So there 2 possible reasons why you couldn’t get Netflix:
First: Your actual location has geographical restrictions set by Amazon.
Second: You’re in one of the countries where Netflix is supported. But the location setting in your Amazon account is somehow incorrect.
In either case, the solution is simple…
Change your location to a country where Netflix on Firestick is supported. Such as the US.
Steps to change your Amazon account’s location
“How exactly do I change my account’s location?”
It’s really easy. Simply follow the steps below:
- Go to Amazon’s home page using a web browser.
- Log in to the account associated with your Firestick.
- Look for Accounts and Lists. Click the dropdown arrow.
- Navigate to Content and Devices and click it.
- Select the Preferences tab.
- Look for Country/Region Settings. Click the Change button.
- Change the country to the United States.
Now for the change to take effect in your Firestick, do a power cycle.
A power cycle is a simple process of turning any device off and on.
For your Firestick, here’s how to do it:
- Unplug your Firestick from the outlet.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Plug it back in.
Once your Firestick powers on, try to install Netflix again.
For many users, changing the location is enough to fix this issue.
But if this didn’t fix it for you, proceed to our Fix #2.
#2: Restart your Firestick via Settings and remote
It’s great that you’ve now changed your Amazon account’s location.
But it’s also possible the location change isn’t reflected yet in your Firestick. Even after performing a power cycle.
And that’s why you’re still not able to get the Netflix app.
If a power cycle didn’t do the trick, fret not.
We have 2 more methods you can do to restart your Firestick.
Restarting helps fix sync issues when you make changes to your Amazon account.
The first method involves using the Settings menu.
Here’s how you can do it:
- On your Firestick’s home page, go to Settings.
- Navigate to My Fire TV and click it.
- Look for Restart and click it.
Your Firestick should then automatically restart.
Another method is by using your Firestick remote.
This is how you can do it:
- Press and hold the Select and Play button for about 10 seconds. The Select button is the big circle one.
- Let go of the buttons as soon as you see a message pop up. It’ll indicate that your Firestick is powering off.
Again, the process of restarting should then be automatic.
For a visual guide on how to restart your Firestick, you may refer to this video:
You might also want to check out: Firestick remote not working – 10 causes & fixes
#3: Deregister and re-register your Amazon account
Another option that you have is to deregister.
It means removing the account associated with your Firestick. And either re-registering your account. Or using another one.
The process of deregistering is easy.
These are the steps to do it:
- Go to Settings then click My Account.
- You should see the Amazon Account option with your name under it. Click that.
- On the Amazon Account page, select Deregister.
- A confirmation box will appear. Click Deregister to go through with the process.
You’ll then see a message on your screen. It’ll say “Deregistering your Fire TV”.
Allow for the deregistering process to finish.
After which, you’ll then see a sign-in page.
Now you have 2 options here.
One is that you can re-register your own Amazon account. The one with the updated location.
Another option is to use an entirely different Amazon account. It can be your friend’s or a family member’s.
Just make sure that the account’s location is set to US as well.
You may then go ahead and try to install Netflix.
#4: Use a Virtual Private Network (VPN)
Changing the location is enough to solve most users’ inability to get Netflix.
But if somehow you’re not able to change your account’s location… Don’t worry.
We have a couple more workarounds for you.
And one of them involves using a Virtual Private Network or VPN.
What’s a VPN, you ask?
It’s basically an online service. It provides users with a much more secure and private browsing experience.
VPN does that by hiding your real IP address. Which is the location of where you’re browsing.
The IP address is also the basis for the geographical restrictions.
With a VPN, you can get an IP address in another location.
And yes, you can use it with Firestick. So you can bypass geo-restrictions and download Netflix.
Note: VPN services have subscription fees. You can either pay monthly or annually. If you want a free option, jump to our Fix #5.
How to download a VPN on your Firestick
Before downloading… It’s important to note that you’ll see many VPN services. From different brands.
You might find it difficult to choose. So we’ll provide you with a shortlist of the best VPNs for Firestick.
Here they are:
Now here’s how to download:
- On your Firestick’s home screen, click Find.
- Click Search.
- Type in the name of the VPN brand that you want to download. You may choose with confidence from any of the 5 that we mentioned.
- Once you find it, click the Download icon to install it.
After installation, just launch the VPN service to start using it. Once you get a US IP address, you’d be able to get Netflix.
Note: What you’ll initially get is a free version of the VPN. You’ll still be able to get a US IP address with a free account. But the data allocation would be limited.
“How much is a VPN’s subscription fee?”
It varies per company. But it should be anywhere from about $3 to $15 a month. Depending on the length of your subscription.
#5: Install Netflix via Sideloading
“What exactly is sideloading?”
Sideloading is the means of downloading apps that aren’t available on an official app store.
Its legality is actually debatable. Some companies like Roku don’t allow it with their streaming devices.
But some, like Amazon, do. So yes, you can definitely do it with your Firestick.
You might also like: Can You Use Roku and Firestick At The Same Time? 10 Steps
The process is a bit more complex. But nonetheless very doable. Even if you’re not a techie.
How to allow apps not found in the Amazon app store
You’ll need to tweak a setting in your Firestick. This will allow you to install apps you can’t find on the Amazon app store. Such as, in your case, Netflix.
- On your Firestick home page, go to Settings then My Fire TV.
- Navigate to Developer Options and click it.
- Look for Apps From Unknown Sources and turn it on.
How to install the Downloader app
Now that you’ve changed the permission, the next step is to install Downloader.
Downloader is an app that’s widely used for sideloading.
Here’s how to download it:
- On your home page, click Find then Search.
- Type in Downloader.
- When you find the page for it, click the download icon.
Once it’s installed, you may go ahead and launch it.
How to download Netflix via Downloader
We’re finally here. Time to download Netflix.
- When you first open Downloader, you’ll see a message. It’ll ask you to give Downloader permission to access your files. Select Allow.
- Click on the search box to launch the virtual keyboard.
- Type in https://firesticklab.com/netflix.apk and click Go.
- Your Netflix download should begin. Wait for it to finish.
- Once it’s done downloading, click Install.
- You’ll see a message that the installation was successful. Click Done.
- You’ll then see an option to delete the download file. Press Delete since you won’t need it.
Go to your Firestick’s home page. You should be able to find Netflix.