Installing 3rd party apps on your Galaxy Watch is a piece of cake.
To tell you the truth, it’s just tapping your fingers in the right places.
And I’ll quickly show you how to do it below.
Read on to find out:
- 3 easy ways to install 3rd party apps on your Galaxy Watch.
- Step-by-step guide on how to install apps using your smartphone.
- 1 mind-blowing way to install any app on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
- And so much more…
How to install 3rd party apps on Galaxy Watch?
You can install 3rd party apps on your Galaxy Watch through the Google Play Store. You’ll find this on the Galaxy Watch menu by swiping up on your screen. However, older models have Galaxy store installed instead of Google Play. To install an app, search for the app in the store and hit “Install.”
3 ways to install 3rd party apps on Galaxy Watch
#1: Through the Galaxy or Google Play Store
The no-brainer way to install 3rd party apps on your Samsung Galaxy Watch?
Just directly go to the Google Play or Galaxy Store.
Here’s how it’s done:
- On your Samsung Galaxy Watch, swipe up.
- Select the Google Play Store icon.
Note: On Galaxy3 and Galaxy Watch Active 2, it’ll be Galaxy Store.
- Tap the search option (magnifying glass icon).
- Type the app you want to download.
- Tap on “Install.”
- Wait for the app to finish downloading.
#2: Using your phone
Installing 3rd party apps on the Samsung Galaxy Watch is also possible thru your phone.
However, you need to meet 2 requirements first:
- Your smartphone should be connected to your Samsung Galaxy.
- The Google Play Store must be signed into the same account as your watch.
Not to worry, though.
I’ve laid a step-by-step guide below.
How to set up your Google account on a Samsung Galaxy Watch
Step 1: Connect Samsung Galaxy to your WiFi.
- On your watch, swipe down and tap the gear icon to access your settings.
- Choose “Connections.”
- Tap “Wi-Fi.”
- Hit “Add network.”
- Set up your WiFi.
Step 2: Add your Google account.
- Swipe down on your watch and hit the gear icon.
- This will allow you to access your settings menu.
- Tap “Account & backup.”
- Select “Google account.”
Step 3: Hit the “Add from phone” option.
Make sure you have your smartphone ready and beside your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
Step 4: Create a Google account on your phone.
Alternatively, if you already have an existing account, just sign in using your Gmail.
Step 5: Tap “Copy” at the bottom-right part of your phone’s screen.
Then, wait for the setup to finish.
Note: You might also be asked to confirm your account through a biometric fingerprint.
From here, let’s move on to the next section, which is to download the app through your phone.
How to download a Samsung Galaxy Watch app on your phone
Step 1: Access Google Play Store.
Swipe up on your watch and select Google Play Store.
Note: On older models, you’ll see Galaxy Store instead.
Step 2: Search for the app or choose categories.
There are 2 ways to go about this:
- Choose “Categories” and select “Watch apps.”
- Search for the app by tapping the magnifying glass icon.
Step 3: Click on the down arrow icon beside “Install.”
Not all apps on Google Play Store are available on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
You can download “Call of Duty” on your phone, but not on your watch.
Put simply, how else could you shoot enemies on such a small screen, right?
Now, this is where the down arrow icon comes in.
This only appears if the app’s compatible with your watch.
Step 4: Tap on the checkbox beside your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
After clicking on the down arrow button, you’ll see the name or model of your Samsung Galaxy.
Make sure to tick the checkbox beside it.
Step 5: Click on “Install.”
From here, the app should automatically install on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
Once the installation’s complete, you can tap “Open” on your phone.
Then, you should see a notification saying: “Check your watch.”
On your watch’s screen, the app should load and start running.
You might also like: Are Smartwatches Actually Better Than Normal Watches?
What about installing apps through an iPhone?
For iOS users, the best approach is the first method, as mentioned above.
However, you can also download the Samsung Galaxy Watch (Gear S) app on the App Store.
From here, you’ll have to set up the app first and pair it to your iPhone.
Once that’s done, all you need to do is…
- Launch the Samsung Galaxy Watch app.
- Hit “Discover.”
- Select Galaxy Store.
- Search for the app and download it after.
#3: Install APK by enabling developer options
Earlier, I mentioned some apps weren’t compatible with your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
Instagram, Snapchat, and Facebook aren’t apps you can normally download on a watch.
These are 3rd party applications you might find more in an Xbox or Samsung TV.
However, installing the APK file with your watch’s developer options changes all that.
For starters, APK or Android Package is the file format for apps in the Android system.
In a nutshell, think of it the same way you’d need a .doc format to open an MS Word file.
So, here’s how this method works:
First, you’ll need to enable your Samsung Galaxy Watch’s developer options.
Then, download the APK file on your phone and transfer it to your watch.
That’s because it requires more legwork than the other 2 methods shown above.
Then again, it’s not hard to do at all.
To make it easier for you, I’ve divided the entire process into 3 separate sections:
- Enable developer options.
- Download the Easy Fire Tools app on your phone.
- Install the APK file on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
How to enable developer options on Samsung Galaxy Watch
Step 1: Swipe up on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
Then, tap on the gear icon (Settings menu).
Step 2: Scroll down and select “About watch.”
From here, click on “Software.”
Step 3: Look for “Software version.”
Tap it about 7 to 9 times until you see “Developer mode turned on.”
Step 4: Go back to your Settings menu.
Step 5: Select “Developer options” (located above “Software update”).
Step 6: Tap on “ADB debugging.”
Hit the check icon to confirm.
Step 7: Turn on “Debug over Wi-Fi.”
Wait for a few seconds and write down the IP address that appears.
Note: IP addresses are numerical values used to identify a device on the internet.
Your IP address should be displayed in the form of:
The “x” you see simply refers to what’s displayed on your watch’s screen.
Since every device has a different IP address, each “x” varies per user.
Download and set up the Easy Fire Tools app on your phone
Now, you’re probably wondering…
“Why would I need this app?”
The most important reason is that you need it to install the APK file on your watch.
So, here’s what you wanna do:
- Download Easy Fire Tools on Google Play Store.
- Launch the app.
- On the top-left corner, tap on the hamburger (3-line) icon.
- Select “Settings.”
- Under “Connection settings,” click on “IP Address.”
- Input the IP address you wrote down earlier.
- Tap “OK” to confirm.
- Go back to the app’s main menu.
- Click on the plug icon in the top-right corner.
- Hit “Continue.”
- You’ll see an “Allow debugging” message on your watch.
- Tap “OK” to confirm.
In case you need a video for reference about the setup process, use this:
Install the APK file on your Samsung Galaxy Watch
After you’ve set your watch’s IP address on Easy Fire Tools, you need to…
- Go to the site: en.uptodown.com.
- Click on the magnifying glass icon in the top-right corner.
- Search for the app you want to install on your Samsung Galaxy Watch.
- Select the app and tap “Download.”
- After the download’s complete, open the Easy Fire Tools app.
- Click the 3-line icon and tap “Sideload.”
- Select “Custom APK File.”
- Tap the “Select file” button.
- Choose the APK file you downloaded on en.uptodown.com.
- Hit “Install.”
- Wait for the app to automatically transfer the file to your watch.
Note: If the APK file size is big, it may take several minutes for the transfer to complete.