When it comes to streaming, bigger is always better.
So if you want to watch Netflix on TV from your iPhone, you definitely deserve to!
The question now is: how do you do that?
Don’t worry, we got that covered in this article.
Read on to find out:
- What a second screen is.
- Whether you can use third-party cables.
- What to do to watch Netflix on a bigger screen.
- Why supported accessories are necessary to stream from your iPhone to your TV.
- And so much more…
How to watch Netflix on TV from iPhone: 3 ways
#1: Try Chromecast
Before we get to it, let’s talk first about Airplay.
Airplay is the reason why you’re reading this article now.
Or to be specific, Netflix stopping Airplay support.
So what is Airplay?
Airplay, which used to be called Airtunes, is a program that allows streaming between Apple devices and other devices.
You could stream anything from audio to video!
And Netflix used to support it.
But back in April 2019, Netflix announced it will no longer support Airplay.
So casting Netflix from an Apple device to a TV through Airplay was no longer possible.
But the good news is… you can still watch Netflix on a bigger screen. From your iPhone.
Enter our first fix: using Chromecast.
“I don’t think I’ve ever used it before, what exactly is it?”
Chromecast is a Google streaming device that lets you stream anything from your device to an HD monitor, like your TV.
Like a magic carpet that transports content from your phone to your TV.
And it has a couple of benefits, such as:
- It works well for streaming Netflix.
- You don’t have to pay for a subscription to use it.
- It can transform an old TV and make it more enjoyable.
Currently, there are three versions of it that you can choose from:
- Chromecast Ultra: for 4K streaming.
- Chromecast 3rd generation: affordable and very popular.
- Chromecast with Google TV: for people with Google TVs.
“Sounds like a great buy! How do I use it?”
To set up Chromecast for the first time, follow these instructions.
Step 1: Plug it into a power supply and then plug it into one of the HDMI ports of your TV.
Step 2: Turn on the TV and select the correct HDMI channel.
Step 3: On your iPhone, download the Google Home app.
Step 4: Enable Bluetooth on your iPhone, then add your new Chromecast as a new device.
Step 5: Check the on-screen instructions to finish the setup.
Just like that, your Chromecast will be good to go!
Now, to cast a Netflix show from your iPhone to your TV:
- Open the Netflix app on your iPhone, and sign in to your account.
- Tap on “Cast”.
- Choose where you’d like to watch your Netflix show or movie (like your TV).
- Choose what you want to watch and tap “Play”.
You may also like: 9 Reasons Why Your Chromecast Only Works with YouTube
#2: Use an adapter and an HDMI cable
Finally, you can use an adapter and an HDMI cable to watch Netflix on your TV from your iPhone.
“Why do I need an adapter in the first place? Can’t I just get an HDMI cable?”
iPhones don’t have ports that allow you to directly connect your iPhone to an HDMI cable, so you need an adapter.
Apple has two main types of adapters for iPhones:
- Lightning digital AV adapter.
- Apple 30-pin digital AV adapter.
“How do I choose the right one for my iPhone?”
Easy! If your phone has Lightning connectors, get the Lightning adapter.
Get the other one if your phone has 30-pin dock connectors.
“Nice! Do I need anything else aside from an adapter?”
Yes, you will need an HDMI cable.
There are three main types of HDMI cables that you can choose from:
The only difference between these three is their size.
There are also three main categories for them:
- 8K/Ultra High Speed.
- High Speed/4K/Premium High Speed.
When choosing an HDMI cable, consider:
- Type of connector on your iPhone adapter.
- How far your phone would be from your TV.
- Video resolution of your iPhone and your TV.
Note: Did you know that HDMI cables are backward compatible?
This means that you can buy an advanced cable now and it will still work in the future, even if you have an outdated device.
“Okay, so how do I use the adapter and the HDMI cable to watch Netflix on my TV from my iPhone?”
- Connect your adapter to your iPhone.
- Connect one end of your HDMI cable to your adapter.
- Connect the other end to your TV.
- Open Netflix on your phone and choose your show.
Your adapter and HDMI cable will mirror whatever is on your phone on your TV.
Watch the process here:
#3: Use Netflix 2nd Screen
Do you often use two screens at once? Like your iPhone and your TV?
If you do, so does almost everybody.
84% of a survey’s respondents say they use a second screen while watching TV.
This is especially true among millennials and Gen Z, and women.
And Netflix has made it easier with Netflix 2nd Screen.
Netflix 2nd screen is a feature that allows people to use both their TVs and their phones, while they watch movies.
On the second screen, you can look at behind-the-scenes info, etc.
And it’s an official way to watch Netflix on your TV from your iPhone!
“Well if I can just open the Netflix app on my TV, why do I need Netflix 2nd screen?”
This option is perfect for you if you already have downloaded the show/movie that you want to watch.
Also, you are free to use your phone as you enjoy your movie on a much bigger screen.
“Okay, I’m sold! How do I use that feature?”
Step 1: Check what WiFi your smart TV is using.
Step 2: Connect to that same network on your iPhone.
Step 3: Tap the Netflix app on your iPhone; on your TV, open the Netflix app, too.
Step 4: Enter your email address and password on both your iPhone and TV (if you are not already signed in).
Step 5: Tap or click on “Cast” in the corner of the screen.
Step 6: Choose the device that you want to watch on, which in this case is your TV.
Step 7: Choose your show or movie.
Step 8: Enjoy!
From there, you can now control your streaming experience straight from your iPhone!
“Okay, but it didn’t work for me. I don’t know how to use the Netflix 2nd screen!”
No worries! Let’s go through some troubleshooting questions.
Are your iPhone and TV connected to the same WiFi network?
It has to be a WiFi network. And it has to be the same network.
Netflix 2nd screen won’t work over mobile data.
To make sure that your TV and iPhone are connected to the same WiFi network:
- Check the network that your TV is connected to.
- Go to Settings, and then find WiFi.
- Tap on the WiFi network that your TV is connected to.
- Enter WiFi password.
Is your TV’s Netflix app updated?
Go ahead and update your app on your TV.
Netflix works best when it is running on the latest version.
Updating Netflix on a smart TV depends on the brand of the TV, but generally:
- Go to Google Play Store.
- Tap or click on “My Apps”.
- Find Netflix, and see if there is an option to “Update”.
- Tap or click on “Update”.
Is your iPhone running the latest software version?
Your phone needs to be running on updated software to watch Netflix on a second screen.
To update your iPhone:
- Back up your files through iCloud or your computer.
- Go to Settings, scroll and look for General, and then tap on “Software Update”.
- Choose the latest version, and then tap on “Install Now” or “Download and Install”.
Read next: 6 Things To Do If Your Smart TV Slows Down the Internet