I’ve never seen a TV that can’t download apps…
Until I got myself a Vizio SmartCast TV.
Honestly, I even considered getting a refund at first…
Not until I realized that adding apps to my Vizio device just needed a different approach.
Wanna learn how I did it?
Continue reading to find out:
- 9 easy steps to add apps to your Vizio SmartCast TV.
- 2 different methods to cast applications to your TV screen.
- How to find out if you can cast a specific app on your device.
- And much, much more…
- How to add apps to Vizio SmartCast TV? 9 steps
- #1: Connect your Vizio TV to the internet
- #2: Connect your mobile device to WiFi
- #3: Launch the Google Play Store/App Store
- #4: Search for the Chromecast-enabled application
- #5: Install the app
- #6: Open the App
- #7: Click the Cast icon
- #8: Select your Vizio SmartCast TV
- #9: The app will now show on your Vizio TV
- Stream on your Vizio TV using AirPlay
- Install apps to Vizio Smart TV with VIA or VIA+ platforms
- Frequently asked questions:
How to add apps to Vizio SmartCast TV? 9 steps
You’ve probably noticed this by now…
But you can’t download new apps directly to your Vizio SmartCast TV.
Not to worry, though. This doesn’t mean that you can’t ever add any apps to it.
Vizio aims to let users control their SmartCast TVs using tablets or smartphones.
So, adding apps to this type of Vizio TV will also require you to use a mobile device.
But don’t worry.
SmartCast TVs were designed to make your streaming experience easier, not the opposite.
So even if you’re not familiar with using a mobile device to control your TV…
You’ll be able to master it in no time because this process is very user-friendly.
There are 2 ways you can add apps to Vizio SmartCast TVs:
I’ll teach you how to add apps using both of these methods.
So grab a mobile device you can use as your TV’s Chromecast and proceed.
#1: Connect your Vizio TV to the internet
The crucial factor that makes any TV smart is its ability to connect to the internet.
So before anything else…
You need to make sure that your TV is connected to a reliable network.
If this is your 1st time using your Vizio SmartCast TV…
Here’s how you can connect it to the WiFi:
- On your remote control, press Menu.
- Navigate the screen and select Network.
- From the choices, choose Network Connection.
- Proceed to choose Wireless.
- Wait for the list of nearby WiFi networks to show up.
- Select your WiFi network.
- Input the password and connect your TV.
- Wait for the process to finish.
“Can I use an ethernet cable instead?”
You can use an ethernet cable to connect your TV to an internet router.
And if fact, I suggest that you use 1 instead of connecting your TV to WiFi, if possible.
Wired connections are more reliable and faster than wireless ones.
So if you’re planning to use an ethernet cable, I support you on the decision.
Your TV will automatically connect to the internet once you plug the cable into its port.
So, you don’t need to follow the steps mentioned above.
And just ensure that the cable is locked into its proper place.
#2: Connect your mobile device to WiFi
To cast any mobile app to your Vizio TV…
You need to connect both devices to the same WiFi network.
And now that your TV is connected to the internet…
It’s time to connect your mobile device.
To connect Android devices to WiFi:
- On your device’s home screen, click the Apps icon.
- Go to the Settings app.
- Select WiFi and slide the toggle to turn ON.
- Select your Wifi network.
- Type the password and connect it to the WiFi.
To connect iOS devices to WiFi:
- Go to Settings.
- Find the “Wi-Fi” option and tap it.
- Slide the toggle to the right.
- Under Networks, select your WiFi.
- Input your password so you can join the network.
Now that your device is connected to WiFi…
#3: Launch the Google Play Store/App Store
If you have an Android device:
- Turn your device ON.
- On its home screen, click Apps.
- Find and tap Google Play Store.
For iOS devices:
- Turn your iPhone or iPad ON.
- Find the App Store.
- Click the icon to launch it.
Once you launch the app…
#4: Search for the Chromecast-enabled application
Depending on the model of your device…
You’ll either see a magnifying glass icon or a search bar.
Either way, tap search and type the name of the app you want to download.
But before you go ahead and install the app…
Ensure that it’s compatible with Chromecast.
After all, if it isn’t, you won’t be able to add it to your Vizio TV.
“How do I know if the app I want to install is compatible with Chromecast?”
You can check if an app can be cast by going to Google’s dedicated Chromecast page.
Once you’re on the website:
- Scroll down until you see “Search apps.”
- Hover over this text and click it.
- Type the name of the app you want to install.
If the App shows up below the search bar, it’s Chromecast-enabled.
If it doesn’t, it’s not.
#5: Install the app
After checking that the app is Chromecast-enabled…
You can proceed to install it on your mobile device.
For Android devices:
- Go back to your Google Play Store.
- You’ll see the app you’ve searched for earlier.
- Tap its name and click Install.
- Wait for the installation process to finish.
For iOS devices:
- Go back to App Store.
- Tap GET beside the name of the app.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Wait for the GET option to become OPEN.
Editor’s pick: 3 Ways To Connect Vizio Soundbar To TV In Seconds
#6: Open the App
Now that you’ve installed the app on your mobile device…
Try finding it on your device’s list of apps and launch it.
#7: Click the Cast icon
Once you open up the app, you’ll see a Cast icon somewhere on your screen.
It’ll look like a rectangle shape layered by a slanted Wifi icon.
Once you find it, click it and…
#8: Select your Vizio SmartCast TV
You’ll see a list of available devices on your screen.
Find your Vizio TV and tap its name.
#9: The app will now show on your Vizio TV
You should be able to see your app on your TV screen now.
If you wish to turn your phone OFF while the app is cast…
You certainly can.
You can even leave the house with your phone, and the Chromecast will continue to play.
“How do I stop casting?”
If you wish to stop the casted app…
Simply use your Vizio remote control to interact with the TV.
Once you do, you’ll be brought back to the original home screen of your Vizio SmartCast.
“My TV is saying that SmartCast home is unavailable. What should I do?”
If you’re getting an error message, you can watch this troubleshooting video by Vizio:
Stream on your Vizio TV using AirPlay
While both Android and Apple devices can use Chromecast…
Apple Airplay is exclusive to iOS devices only.
Setting Airplay up to cast on your Vizio TV is similar to the 1st method.
The only difference is when you’ve downloaded and opened the app…
You need to find the AirPlay icon instead of the Chromecast icon.
Here’s a brief rundown of the steps you need to follow.
- Connect your TV and mobile device to the Wifi.
- Install the app you want to cast to your TV from the App Store.
- Once you’ve installed the app, open it.
- Tap the AirPlay icon on the app.
- Select your Vizio TV from the list of devices that show up.
Note: If you can’t find the AirPlay icon, tap the Cast icon instead. You’ll find the AirPlay option in its subsection.
“I can’t find my Vizio TV when I try to cast the app.”
If either Chromecast or AirPlay doesn’t work on your Vizio TV…
Then, your TV might not be part of the SmartCast lineup.
Instead, it’s an older Vizio TV that supports VIA or VIA+ smart TV platforms.
If you have this type of TV…
Don’t worry, as you can still add and install apps to your device.
Just follow along with the steps I’ve written below.
Install apps to Vizio Smart TV with VIA or VIA+ platforms
For Vizio TVs running on VIA:
- On your remote, press the V button.
- Tap CONNECTED TV STORE.
- From the choices, select All Apps.
- Find the app you want to install.
- On your remote, press OK.
- Click Install App.
For Vizio TVs running on VIA +:
- On your remote, click the V button twice.
- On the top of your screen, navigate to All Apps.
- Locate the app you want to install on your TV.
- Hover over the app.
- Press and hold down the OK button.
Once a message saying “(App name) has been added to your My Apps list” shows up…
That means you’ve successfully installed the app.
You might also be interested in: (5 Fixes) Vizio Soundbar Keeps Cutting Out
Frequently asked questions:
The V button on your Vizio remote is located in the middle section. You can usually find it under the down arrow button. If it isn’t there, then the type of remote you have might not have a V button.
Can I download apps on Vizio SmartCast?
You can’t download apps on Vizio SmartCast. Instead, you can cast apps or content from your mobile device to your TV. All you need to do is install a Chromecast-enabled app on your phone and tap its Cast icon. Doing so will project the app on your TV screen.
To download apps on your Vizio Smart TV without the button, use the Vizio Internet Apps Plus (VIA +) platform.
Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Connect your TV to an internet connection.
- Double click Home on your remote.
- Head to All Apps.
- Find the app you want to add to your TV.
- Once you find the app, hover over it.
- Long-press the OK on your remote control.
- The app will begin its installation process.
- Wait for a confirmation message to appear.