You don’t need to be a tech expert to change the input on your Vizio TV.
In fact, boiling a kettle of water takes even longer to do.
Not to mention, changing your Vizio TV input’s very easy.
“But what if I don’t have a remote?”
That’s not a problem, either.
Because I’ve covered every way possible to change the input on a Vizio TV.
Read on to discover:
- 7 effortless ways to change the input on Vizio TV.
- Where to find the input button on your Vizio remote.
- How to change input on your Vizio TV without a remote.
- And so much more…
How to change input on Vizio TV – 7 ways
#1: Press the “Input” button on your Vizio remote
The Vizio TV input button is at the top-left corner of your remote.
It’s located right beside the power button.
This also serves as the Vizio default input button.
So, what next from here? All you need to do is…
- Press the input button on your Vizio TV remote.
- A pop-up menu should appear on your screen.
Note: This is your Vizio change input menu.
- Select the input you want to change to.
But what if…
- You lost your remote.
- Your Vizio remote’s functions aren’t responding.
I have the solution for you in the next sections.
#2: Use your Vizio TV’s physical side buttons
Even without a remote, it’s still possible to change the input on your Vizio TV.
But how exactly?
Put it this way.
Every Vizio TV has manual controls located at the back or side panel.
However, unlike your remote, there isn’t a Vizio TV default input button.
So how do we access it?
By using your Vizio TV’s menu settings.
Here’s what you wanna do:
- Look for the buttons located in your Vizio TV side or back panel.
- Press the menu button.
- A pop-up menu should appear.
- Tap the volume buttons to move left or right.
- Select “Setup.”
- Hit the channel buttons to move up or down.
- Choose “Source.”
- Select the input you want to change on your Vizio TV.
Need a little more guidance? Here’s a video worth checking out:
“How do I know I’m choosing the right input?”
Typically, input names are determined by the default standard set on your Vizio TV.
Other times, it’s dependent on the cable or TV port the device’s connected to.
If you have a DVD connected to your Vizio TV, the input name would be either “DVD” or “AV.”
The same goes for devices that connect via an HDMI cable.
Streaming devices like Roku or gaming consoles, such as an Xbox use HDMI cables.
As a result, connecting either device to your Vizio TV means the input name would be “HDMI.”
If you’re using a set-top cable box, it’s highly likely the input name registers as “AV.”
From here, choosing the right input depends on what device is plugged into your Vizio TV.
If it’s a streaming device like Chromecast or a gaming console (Xbox/PS4), choose “HDMI.”
For DVD/Blu-ray players and set-top cable boxes, the right input name could be either “DVD” or “AV.”
If you don’t get any signal in any of these TV inputs, try other sources, such as:
- “AV 2.”
- “HDMI 2”
#3: Download the VizControl app
If this issue happens often, it’s tiring to manually use your Vizio TV’s side panel buttons.
And I hear you.
So, here’s an easier and more convenient option:
Use the VizControl app.
It’s a mobile application designed specifically for Vizio TVs.
In addition, it only has a maximum distance of 15 ft.
But take note.
The VizControl app only works on Vizio TVs 2015 and higher.
Not to worry, though.
If you have a 2014 Vizio TV or lower, I’ve got solutions for that too.
But first, let’s quickly run through the VizControl app and how to use it.
As always, you need to download the VizControl application prior to using it as a remote.
From here, follow these steps:
- Launch the VizControl app.
- The remote will look nearly identical to a Vizio TV remote.
- Tap the “Input” button at the top-left corner of your screen.
- Select the preferred input for your Vizio TV.
You might also like: 5 Ways To Use Your Smart TV Without Remote
#4: Plug an external device while your Vizio TV’s turned on
Let’s say you bought a new streaming device.
It could be a Chromecast, FireStick, Apple TV, or Roku.
By default, your Vizio TV switches to the right input after plugging in a streaming device.
Want a more concrete example?
Say you plugged a Roku stick into your TV’s HDMI port.
Your Vizio TV should automatically switch to the HDMI input setting.
Provided, of course, that your TV’s turned on already.
If it’s powered off, your TV won’t switch to the HDMI input automatically.
Now, take note.
This also applies to other external devices like a hard drive or USB.
That said, here’s the step-by-step process on how to change the input via plugging your device:
- Turn on your Vizio TV.
- Make sure you’ve inserted batteries into your streaming device’s remote.
- Plug your streaming device into your Vizio TV’s respective port.
- Your Vizio TV will automatically switch to the right input.
“I tried it just now, but nothing’s happening.”
First, check your Vizio TV’s ports.
For this to work, you have to ensure it’s a tight fit.
If the cable connection’s loose, your Vizio TV won’t recognize the device.
Another effective solution’s re-plugging your streaming device.
Here’s how to do it:
- Unplug your streaming device from your Vizio TV’s port.
- Wait for 1 or 2 minute/s.
- Plug your streaming device back into its respective TV port.
If none of these fixes still didn’t work, don’t panic.
I’ve got just the fix in the next section.
#5: Get a universal remote
This isn’t the first time you’ve heard of this, right?
Well, there’s a reason why a universal remote can be lifesaving:
- Ideal if a remote control app isn’t compatible with your Vizio TV model.
- It works with any TV in the event your remote wears down or you lose it.
Put simply, a universal remote control also allows you to change your Vizio TV inputs.
“But wait – is there a catch?”
Aside from the $12 price tag, there isn’t any.
Think of it as a backup remote or a replacement device when things go south.
Or in the event of an emergency, a universal remote can do more than just change inputs.
Basically, you can also use it to work as how a standard Vizio TV remote would.
Now, you can get a universal remote control easily online.
How do you set it up?
Just insert 2 AAA batteries into the remote, and it’ll work right away.
From here, all you have to do is…
- Press the input button on your universal Vizio TV remote.
Note: It’s located in the top-left corner of your remote.
- The Vizio input menu should appear on your TV screen.
- Choose the right input you want to set to your Vizio TV.
#6: Try Vizio SmartCast
“Wait – how is it different from the VizControl app?”
Put simply, the VizControl app only works with Android devices.
As for the Vizio SmartCast application, it works with both iOS and Android phones.
But how does it work, and is it easy to set up?
The way it works though is slightly different from the VizControl app.
Specifically, the Vizio SmartCast app’s mainly used for casting devices to your TV.
That aside, it still works as a regular remote control.
In addition, you can also use it to change inputs on your Vizio smart TV.
Then, here’s what you wanna do:
Step 1: Launch the Vizio SmartCast app.
Step 2: Create a new account or sign in as a “Guest.”
Step 3: On the top of your phone’s screen, tap “Select Device.”
Make sure your smartphone and Vizio TV are connected to the same WiFi network.
Step 5: Tap “Get Started.”
Step 6: Choose your Vizio TV.
You should see a message on your TV screen, saying: “PIN code is XXXX.”
Step 7: Input the PIN code on your smartphone.
From here, the Vizio SmartCast app should be connected to your Vizio TV.
Step 8: On the app menu, tap on “Input” in the top-left corner.
Step 9: Select your preferred input and tap “OK” on your Vizio SmartCast app remote.
#7: Download a universal mobile remote control app
Want a backup remote you can use for any smart TV?
That’s exactly what a universal mobile remote control app’s for.
Not only can you use it for your Vizio TV but for other smart TVs too.
Say you have a Vizio, Samsung, and TCL TV at home.
You can use a universal mobile remote control app for all those TVs.
That aside, it also works just like your standard or default remote control.
Meaning, you can use the app to change channels, volume, and your TV inputs.
So, what’s the best universal mobile remote control app?
As it stands, I recommend the Universal TV Remote Control app.
After downloading the app on your smartphone, launch it.
Then, here’s how to set it up:
- Launch the Universal TV Remote Control app.
- Tap on “Smart TV Remotes.”
- Choose the Vizio TV brand.
- Wait for the app to scan and find your Vizio TV.
- On the universal remote control app, tap the “Input” button.
- Choose the Vizio TV input you want to set it to.
“What if I don’t see an Input button on the app?”
In that case, you’ll have to take an extra couple of steps to change your Vizio TV’s input.
Here’s how it’s done:
- Launch the Universal TV Remote Control app.
- Select “Smart TV Remotes.”
- Choose Vizio as the brand of your TV.
- The app will perform a scan and detect your Vizio TV.
- In the app menu, click on “Menu.”
- Your Vizio TV’s menu settings should appear on your screen.
- Scroll right and choose “Setup.”
- Click on “Source.”
- Choose the right input to set on your Vizio TV.