Right now, your number 1 need is a night of good, long sleep.
And you’re the type of person who prefers to sleep with a little noise.
To achieve that, Alexa Ambient Sleep Sounds is here.
So be ready to be lulled to dreamland with the best sleep sounds.
Read more about:
- 15 best Alexa sleep sounds in 2022.
- Best sleep-inducing sounds in Alexa’s skills.
- Different meditation sounds from different cultures.
- And so much more…
What is the best sleep sound on Alexa?
The best sleep sound on Alexa is the one that is used for meditation, ease in sleeping, exudes a sense of relaxation, and separates distracting noises. Our AI assistant offers a wide array of sleep sound options varying from rain sounds, water sounds, wind sounds, natural sounds, cityscape sounds, and cultural sounds.
15 best Alexa sleep sounds (the complete list)
Before I proceed with presenting you with the best sleep sounds, you’d have to know…
You can’t just command Alexa to play these sounds to you.
It’s a whole process that starts with finding the right Alexa skill. I’ll be linking to specific ones that come with the sound.
For now, you must enable a skill first. And here’s how to do that:
Here are 3 ways to enable a skill
Via the App
- In order to make the Echo device work, you need to install the Alexa app for iOS and Android.
- Tap on “More” at the bottom right of the app.
- Click on “Skills & Games.”
- Customize the skills that you can see via the tabs at the top.
- Select “Categories” and look for the particular skill.
Via Voice Commands
- “Alexa, enable (exact name of the skill).”
- Furthermore, if you don’t know what skills to enable, just say, “Alexa, what skills do you recommend?”
- Alexa will be saying the list of all skills available.
Via the Amazon Site
- Visit alexa.amazon.com.
- Enter your Amazon ID credentials.
- Navigate to the left column and select “Skills.”
- There are 2 ways for this next step: Browse the skill cards below it or, by utilizing the search for the skill.
- Select a skill card.
- Open the skill page.
After that, you can proceed with the necessary command for the skill…
#1: Rain sounds skill
Craving for that pit-pattering of rain to help doze yourself to sleep?
Worry not, for that’s available in Alexa’s gentle Rain Sounds skill. And it lasts for 1 hour.
Though, one may ask, “What makes rain soothing and relaxing?”
As mentioned in an article in Medium, the brain perceives rain as harmless. So that’s why it can immediately put your mind at ease.
Have you observed why most people would prefer to stay up cozy in their beds?
There are 2 reasons behind this:
1st would be the white noise effect of rain.
The sound of rain allows our brain to focus on rain. Our body then responds to this by being more relaxed and falling asleep easily.
2nd is the Womb Effect.
When we were still being conceived, the womb of our mothers gives us a sense of safety.
Due to the fact, that presets our brain whenever it hears water sounds.
With that, here’s…
How to activate Rain Sounds:
- “Alexa, open Rain-Sounds.”
- “Alexa, start Rain-Sounds.”
- And if you want it to be on loop: “Alexa, ask Rain Sounds to loop.”
You might also want to know: 17 Amazing Alexa Music Commands (You’ll Love #7)
#2: Thunderstorm sounds skill
This one is for people who don’t get sleepy from the light rain shower…
Those who prefer to drown themselves in the rip-roaring raindrops.
Here, the sound of thunder claps and heavy downpours can soothe you as well…
And that’s despite its intense sounds.
You can activate this Thunderstorm sounds skill just by saying these:
- “Alexa, open Thunderstorm Sounds.”
- “Alexa, start Thunderstorm Sounds.”
- “Alexa, play Thunderstorm Sounds.”
Some people may prefer heavy rainstorms, but quieter ones. And an option like this is also available in this skill.
After mentioning the commands for Thunderstorm Sound, just say, “Alexa, open Distant Thunderstorm.”
#3: Rain on a tent skill
I have a question for all camping enthusiasts:
Do you miss the sound of rain on a tent?
If so, what if I tell you you can recreate the experience on your own?
With this skill, you can get to undergo the feeling of being in the great outdoors again.
To get started, all you have to say are these:
- ”Alexa, open Rain On A Tent.”
- ”Alexa, start Rain On A Tent.”
- ”Alexa, play Rain On A Tent.”
#4: Ocean sounds skill
This is to the active-minded people:
Water sounds help you drift to sleep peacefully.
Moreover, it has positive effects on your brain. It blocks out unwanted noises, making you less distracted by them.
Activate the ocean sounds skill by just saying these commands:
- ”Alexa, open Ocean Sounds.”
- ”Alexa, start Ocean Sounds.”
- ”Alexa, play Ocean Sounds.”
#5: Waterfall sounds skill
The reason behind the soothing sensation of listening to rushing water is its pink noise.
Well, pink noise is something that cuts out distracting sounds. It does so by making the brain focus on one thing: the sound of flowing water.
This results in ultimately inducing sleep, and a restful one.
Fun fact: There’s this practice in Japan called Takigyo. It’s where a person stands underneath the waterfall and lets the water wash them. This is meant to cleanse the mind, body, and soul.
#6: Wind sound skill
It’s natural to think that wind would be part of our list due to its soothing effect.
The University of Sussex showed the effects of listening to natural sounds.
People who listened to natural sounds resulted in positive bodily responses.
They’ve also stated that the participants experienced the greatest relaxation.
This soundscape potentially helps in promoting better rest.
Hear the breeze by saying these voice commands:
- ”Alexa, open wind sound.”
- ”Alexa, launch wind sound.”
- ”Alexa, start wind sound.”
#7: Wind chimes skill
This certain skill creates a sense of escapism…
It’s best for people who seek unwanted distractions or want to escape reality. You’d know that wind chimes are the one for you once you try them.
And since wind chimes are usually seen hanging outside the porch, a random chirping of a bird is included.
All in all, you can enjoy and relax from the tranquil and gentle chime this sound has to offer.
What to say to activate your Wind Chimes Sounds skill:
- “Alexa, open Wind Chimes.”
- “Alexa, start Wind Chimes.”
- “Alexa, play Wind Chimes.”
#8: Windy meadow skill
Do you know the default wallpaper of Windows XP? A picturesque view thanks to its green grass and perfect blue sky.
Ever wonder what it is like to be actually there? Get to hear it with Alexa’s Windy Meadows.
This features wind passing through tall grasses and reeds that can be seen in meadows.
Think this sound is the one for you? Invoke it in your Alexa with these commands:
- ”Alexa, open Windy Meadow.”
- ”Alexa, start Windy Meadow.”
- ”Alexa, ask Windy Meadow to loop.”
#9: Fireplace sounds skill
Actual fireplaces are very tedious to maintain with all that ashes and smoke to clean.
Then, there are fire hazards to consider as well.
But, you still want to hear that crackling and popping of burning wood. The wintry effect, warm ambiance, and cozy sense it has to offer feels like you’re being lulled to sleep.
With just a few commands, you can…
Instantly have your own (virtual) fireplace by saying these commands:
- “Alexa, open Fireplace Sounds.”
- “Alexa, start Fireplace Sounds.”
- “Alexa, ask Fireplace Sounds to loop.”
#10: Rainforest Sounds skill
After a long and hectic day, being surrounded by nature sounds like a good idea… but you can’t go on a vacation.
Well, how about a staycation?
In the comfort of your home, you can listen to the chirping of the birds and critters crawling. Dripping of water from leaves is also part of the soundscape.
So if you’re looking for a tropical feel, blast up Rainforest sound using Alexa.
What to say to enable Rainforest sound skill:
- “Alexa, open Rainforest Sounds.”
- “Alexa, start Rainforest Sounds.”
- “Alexa, ask Rainforest Sounds to loop.”
#11: City sounds skill
“Why would anyone be relaxed with city sounds?
Urban places are polluted with noise…”
I understand you for asking these questions…
Noise pollution is an ever-present scenario in every city. As they have the nature of being busy and see the streets bustling with people.
The above statement is true, I can attest.
But have you tried listening closely and considering what else a city has to offer?
Have you noticed the subtle laughter of kids playing on the streets? The tweeting of the birds? And the wind seemingly chiming the leaves?
These are all sounds that soothe and lull you to sleep amidst the noise pollution.
Satisfy your urban lifestyle with these commands:
- ”Alexa, open City Sounds.”
- ”Alexa, start City Sounds.”
- ”Alexa, ask City Sounds to loop.”
#12: Train sounds skill
Train sounds aren’t just relaxing to listen to, but also to think about it.
Train rides emit a sense of going home, and being away from unwanted noises and distractions.
The noise created by trains masks out distractions and lets the stress flow away.
Hop on the train ride with these steps:
- ”Alexa, open Train Sounds.”
- ”Alexa, start Train Sounds.”
- ”Alexa, ask Train Sounds to loop.”
#13: Indian Flute skill
Trying to find music to go with your yoga session?
The Indian Flute sound aims to give relaxation to your mental state.
Reduction of stress in your body is also done, and all you have to do is listen to this.
Fun fact: The instrument being used in this sound is called a “Bansuri,” a flute made entirely with bamboo. It’s also known for its changing frequencies that are associated with emotions. Low energies for negative emotions and higher vibration for positive emotions.
Enable this skill just by these simple commands:
- ”Alexa, open Indian Flute Sounds.”
- ”Alexa, start Indian Flute Sounds.”
- ”Alexa, ask Indian Flute Sounds to loop.”
#14: Gregorian Chant skill
Alexa considers all types of sleep sounds, including sacred songs.
Blast it up and experience the ethereal, contemplative beauty of this sleep sound.
It’s relaxing in a way where it’s meant to communicate with God with your mind and soul.
Activation phrases for Gregorian chant:
- “Alexa, Play Gregorian Chants.”
- “Alexa, Start Gregorian Chants.”
- “Alexa, Open Gregorian Chants.”
#15: Space deck skill
Despite us not being able to really go to space…
Alexa provides a way to make us feel what it’s like to be in it with the use of sounds.
The almost-silent tune and whisper-like sounds will destress your mind.
Relax, meditate, and sleep while imagining you’re inside the starship.
Enter the space world with the following steps:
- “Alexa, open Space Deck.”
- “Alexa, start Space Deck.”
- “Alexa, ask Space Deck to loop.”
#BONUS: Sleep and Relaxation Sounds skill
Can’t decide what ambient sound to choose? Say no more, for Alexa can assist you.
Our trustee-smart home device has a catchall feature wherein it’ll mention a list of all of them.
Activate these with 5 easy steps:
- “Alexa, open Sleep Sounds.”
- “Alexa, list sounds.”
- “Alexa, play randomly.”
- Or, you can say “Alexa, ask Sleep Sounds to play thunderstorm.”
- If you prefer light rain, then say this, “Alexa, ask Sleep Sounds to play rain.”
We’ve stated the best Sleep Skills sound we have observed and garnered a high rating from Alexa users.
Piqued with what Alexa has to offer but doesn’t have one?
Get your own AI assistant by clicking here.