Pairing your Arlo doorbell with Alexa makes it easier to run your smart home operations.
However, you might experience difficulties linking the two devices for various reasons.
Here are 8 easy fixes for when your Arlo doorbell is not working with Alexa:
- Download the latest version of the Arlo app.
- Reset your Arlo doorbell.
- Reset the Arlo skill in the Alexa app.
- Change the doorbell’s video resolution to 1080.
- Boost your network connection.
- Use different Alexa commands.
- Reset your Echo’s Wi-Fi settings.
- Contact an Arlo moderator.
This post will show you 8 fixes to sync your Arlo doorbell flawlessly with Alexa and other Amazon products.
I’ll also discuss why your doorbell might not be working right to help you find the root of your problem.
1. Download the Latest Version of the Arlo App
This solution takes less than 2 minutes and may be critical to link your devices.
The Arlo doorbell can work even though your smartphone app is out of date. However, the old program may contain bugs that prevent you from connecting to Alexa.
Try using the most recent Arlo doorbell app to see whether it solves the issue.
2. Reset Your Arlo Doorbell
Generally, resetting the Arlo device will solve your issues.
You can use the following steps to reset your video doorbell:
- Pick the release pin that came in your doorbell’s original packaging. As a substitute, you can use a paperclip or hairpin.
- Remove the Arlo unit from the wall and locate the reset button at the back of the device.
- Use the pin to press and hold the button for around 15 seconds. When the reset is complete, the LED ring will flash.
Re-add the doorbell to your account after it’s been reset. The following steps will help:
- Sign in to my.arlo.com.
- Select Add New Device at the bottom of the page.
- Go to the Arlo Doorbell configuration.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
3. Reset the Arlo Skill in the Alexa App
Before resetting the Arlo software, make sure you have the most recent version of Alexa. If you’re unsure how to update the app, the following links will help you:
Following that, you should deactivate the Arlo Skill:
- This can be done via the Skills & Games tab. Note that disabling the Arlo Skill in Alexa won’t remove your devices from the Arlo app or modify any settings. Don’t forget to deactivate the Arlo devices connected to your Alexa gadgets.
- Wait a few seconds and reinstall the Arlo Skill.
- You should have your password ready to link Alexa successfully. If you forget your Arlo password, you can reset it through your browser.
- After logging into your account, you’ll be prompted to connect your doorbell.
You might also like: Why is my Alexa app so slow?
4. Change the Doorbell’s Video Resolution to 1080
Sometimes you receive an error message indicating your camera isn’t responding, although you’re certain it’s connected to Alexa.
That might be because the video won’t display if it’s not in a resolution recognized by Alexa.
To resolve this, go to the Arlo app’s configuration menu and change the resolution to 1080. If this setting doesn’t restore the video, experiment with different modes to see if any help.
5. Boost Your Network Connection
If you’ve added the Arlo Skill in your Alexa app, but it’s not working, you might be experiencing a connectivity problem caused by a weak network.
Ensure your home signal is powerful, and if not, boost it in one of these ways:
- Use a network extender.
- Confirm the network’s name. When you type it into the Arlo app, double-check that it’s an exact match because you may be connected to a weaker network.
- Consider putting your WiFi router next to your doorbell to improve the reception.
And the following methods can improve the signal on your Alexa-enabled device:
- Restart the device.
- Switch off all electrical devices that harm the signal, such as microwaves.
- Restore the device to its factory settings.
Connect to a 2.4GHz Network Wherever Possible
When using an Arlo doorbell, a 2.4GHz network is the best option.
Signals in this frequency pass more easily across walls, resulting in a stronger reception at your doorbell spot.
Plus, it’s better to have your Alexa-enabled unit wired to the same 2.4GHz WiFi network as your Arlo doorbell.
Note that the Arlo doorbell needs an Internet link capable of supporting an average bandwidth usage of 2 Mbps. If you’re unsure about your internet level, you can check it for free using Speed Test.
If your home network is incapable of supporting your Arlo, call your internet service provider to arrange for an update.
And if many devices use the 2.4GHz frequency, the following tips will help reduce Wi-Fi interference:
- Remove your wireless router from other routers, appliances, and thick building materials.
- When not in use, unplug video game controllers, speakers, and other household gadgets.
- Avoid using too many wireless devices close to one another.
- Consider utilizing a different wireless frequency for other devices.
- Update the router’s firmware.
6. Use Different Alexa Commands
Another reason why Alexa may not show the camera stream is that your commands are wrong.
You must be specific when using Alexa. In particular, the correct camera name must be in the command.
Go to the Alexa app, tap the Devices icon on the bottom and look for the name of your Arlo camera. Then use it.
Some correct commands are as follows:
- Alexa, show the Arlo [device name].
- Alexa, show Arlo [camera name] feed.
- Alexa, show feed from the Arlo video doorbell.
If you want to change your unit’s name to something more memorable, you can do this under the Devices tab, too. Simply tap your camera, choose Edit Name and save the new title.
7. Reset Your Echo’s Wi-Fi Settings
If you’re using Alexa on Amazon Echo, the issue might be with the speaker’s network settings.
You can reset the Wi-Fi settings on your Echo by pressing and holding the reset button until the light ring glows orange.
This indicates the device is in setup mode, and you can use the Alexa app to repeat the initialization process and choose your Wi-Fi network.
If you own an Echo Show, this button won’t be there. However, you can hold the Mute and Volume Down keys until the Amazon logo appears. After 15 seconds, the setup menu will show.
8. Contact an Arlo Moderator
There’s an Arlo forum with attentive support agents where you can seek assistance with Alexa’s difficulties. All you need to do is go to the landing page and click Ask a Question.
You can also start a new topic on the forum:
- Select New Discussion from the drop-down menu. A box with subject selections will appear.
- Select the best choice for your kind of post.
- Provide a subject, model number, and short statement about the problem.
- In the Model box, enter your model.
- Choose an appropriate label.
- Enter as much information as possible about the problem or query in the Body section.
Include the following information in your post to increase the odds of getting a response from the community members:
- Error messages
- Device and OS versions
- Previous troubleshooting methods
Check if Arlo Is Having Issues
Sometimes, the Arlo server can experience issues that lead to connectivity issues as well as others, including:
- Malfunctioning camera
- Constant disconnection
- App not functioning properly
When going on the forum, the first thing you should do is search for recent update bugs or server crashes. You should also look at Arlo’s home page to see if they posted any web notices.