Apple TV’s one of the best apps on iPhones.
Especially for those always on the go.
Wherever you are, you can just pull out your phone…
And start streaming from hundreds of channels.
Now if you’re having trouble with the app…
Fret not. I have plenty of easy fixes for you.
Continue reading to find out:
- A must-know Apple TV device restriction.
- 13 easy and effective ways to fix Apple TV on your iPhone.
- How to reset the Apple TV app to prevent it from malfunctioning.
- And this is just the beginning…
Why is Apple TV not working on my iPhone?
Apple TV isn’t working on your iPhone because you have a poor WiFi or cellular data connection. You may try resetting your modem or router. Or move to a location with a better signal to stream without buffering. Also, the app may simply be glitching. You may close and relaunch it to fix the issue.
Apple TV not working on iPhone: 13 fixes
#1: Verify if Apple TV is down
The Apple TV app is home to hundreds of channels, including the Apple TV+.
It comes preinstalled on Apple devices such as:
So you can just imagine how many users are streaming from it.
And due to the number of users, it’ll inevitably experience occasional outages.
So if Apple TV isn’t working on your iPhone, check for service interruptions.
You may visit Apple’s System Status page. Look for Apple TV Channels and Apple TV+.
If there’s a green circle, it means they’re good. And the issue is on your end.
Now if the circle is red, then there’s an actual outage. So you’ll simply need to wait for Apple engineers to fix the issue.
Don’t worry, though. Apple TV outages are rare and never last long.
#2: Check if you’re having network connection issues
The Apple TV app requires at least 5 Mbps to stream in High Definition (HD). If you prefer to stream in 4K, you’d need at least 25 Mbps.
And if you’re struggling to stream from your iPhone, your WiFi or cellular signal may be weak.
If you’re connected via WiFi, try to do a power cycle on your modem and router.
A power cycle means resetting your device. It helps fix many issues, including a slow or unstable internet connection.
How to do a power cycle on your modem and router
- Unplug your modem and router from the outlet.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Plug both devices back in.
Now If you’re using your cellular data, you may try to turn it off and on.
How to reset your cellular connection
- Swipe down from the right side of your iPhone’s screen.
- Tap the Cellular icon to turn it off.
- Wait for about 30 seconds.
- Tap it again to reconnect.
In addition, you may also move to an area with a better signal.
#3: Manage your channel subscriptions
With Apple TV, you can subscribe to many channels. Some with a monthly subscription fee.
You may be already past the due date of your subscription.
Perhaps the card on your account got declined for some reason. And that’s why the channel you’re trying to stream from isn’t working.
To manage your subscriptions, you may do the following:
- On the Apple TV app, click your account photo on the upper-right of your screen.
- Tap Manage Subscriptions.
- Check under Expired if your channel subscriptions have lapsed.
You may click on the channel to renew your subscription. You’ll be redirected to a page where you can enter your payment info.
#4: Ensure that you’re following Apple TV’s device limit
Apple TV has a Family Share option. The account holder can share the subscription with up to 6 family members.
However, you can only stream from the same channel on up to 3 devices maximum.
For example, 3 of your family members are already streaming from the Apple TV+ channel.
That means you’re no longer able to stream from that. Unless one of them closes the app or switches to another channel.
So if you’re getting an error…
Check if your other family members are also streaming from the same channel.
#5: Close then relaunch the Apple TV app
Like any other app, Apple TV can sometimes experience a temporary malfunction.
A simple fix to that is to close the app. And then relaunch it.
Here’s a fast way to close an app on an iPhone:
- Swipe up from the app’s bottom until the middle of the screen.
- Let go of the screen.
- Swipe up one more time to completely close the app.
After that, wait for a few minutes before relaunching the app again.
#6: Close other apps to free up memory space
As you know, your iPhone uses memory to load and run apps.
Modern iPhones have either 4 GB or 6 GB of memory, to be precise. Large enough to run several apps at once.
But once it reaches its limits, your phone will slow down.
And it’s a common reason why apps like Apple TV and Spotify doesn’t work on iPhones.
So if you have too many apps running in the background, try to close all of them.
This is an easy way to do it:
- Swipe up from the bottom of your iPhone until the middle of the screen.
- Remove your finger from the screen.
- You’ll see all of the apps open. Swipe up to close each one.
For a visual guide, check out this video:
#7: Restart your iPhone
Now it’s also likely that the Apple TV app’s fine.
And it’s your phone that’s malfunctioning that’s why you can’t stream.
Restarting your iPhone is a simple but effective fix for that.
This is a fast way to restart:
- Press and hold the Power button and the Volume Down button.
- When the slider appears, slide right to power off.
- Press and hold the Power button again to turn it on.
Once your iPhone is on, try to relaunch and stream from the Apple TV app.
#8: Clear your Apple TV app’s play history
Your Apple TV app stores your play history.
This includes what you’ve previously watched. As well as shows and movies from your Up Next watchlist.
But sometimes, these files may become corrupted. And may cause the Apple TV app to malfunction.
So if the app is glitching, consider erasing this.
The process is simple:
- On the Apple TV app, click your account photo.
- Select Settings.
- Scroll down to Play History and tap Clear Play History.
- Click the Clear Play History button.
#9: Install updates for the Apple TV app
Another reason why the Apple TV app isn’t working is it’s likely outdated.
Apple periodically releases updates to add features. And fix bugs.
So it’s best to keep all of your apps up to date.
Here’s how to manually check for updates:
- From your Home screen, tap the App Store icon.
- On the search bar, type in “Apple TV”.
- If you see an Update button, click it.
The download and installation of updates should begin immediately.
#10: Update your iPhone’s iOS
Just as important as keeping apps updated is keeping your iOS up to date.
You may have already updated your Apple TV app. But if your iPhone’s iOS is outdated, the app may still not work correctly.
To install updates on your iPhone:
- Tap the Settings icon from the Home screen.
- Select General.
- Select Software Update.
- Wait for the iPhone to check for updates.
- Select Download and Install if there are available updates.
Note: Your phone’s battery should be at least 50% charged. Or plugged in an outlet. Otherwise, the iOS update won’t start.
#11: Reset the Apple TV app
If installing updates doesn’t work, consider resetting the Apple TV app.
Doing this will erase all of your data. This includes your account information and personal preferences and configurations.
These are the steps to do it:
- From the Apple TV app’s home screen, tap your profile photo.
- Select Settings.
- Select Reset.
- Tap the Reset button.
#12: Delete then reinstall the Apple TV app
Another effective way to fix a glitching Apple TV app is to delete and reinstall it.
With your iPhone, the process is really easy.
How to delete Apple TV from your iPhone
- From your Home screen, press and hold the Apple TV icon.
- Tap the Remove App option.
- A message box will pop up. Select Delete App to uninstall.
The app is now completely removed from your phone. But before reinstalling, try to restart your iPhone first.
After that, you may proceed to reinstall.
How to reinstall the Apple TV app
- Tap the App Store icon from the Home screen.
- Type in “Apple TV” from the search box and click Search.
- Click the Get button beside the Apple TV app.
Download and installation should then begin.
#13: Contact Apple for customer support
So you’ve done all the fixes. And your Apple TV app’s still not working.
At this point, it’s best to contact Apple for customer support.
They have a dedicated team for their streaming services. They should be able to help you fix your Apple TV app.
You might also like: (5 Fixes) HBO Max Not Working On iPhone