Having slow Internet connection makes it very hard to enjoy your Oculus Quest 2.
You’ll spend half the time waiting for your apps to load.
And the other half barely enjoying the laggy game you’re playing.
But don’t worry.
You can avoid this hassle by knowing your device’s Internet requirements.
Continue reading to find out:
- What type of router your Oculus Quest 2 needs.
- 9 quick steps to connect your Oculus Quest 2 to WiFi.
- How fast your Internet needs to be for your VR headset to work efficiently.
- And this is just the beginning…
Oculus Quest 2 internet requirements
The first ideal Internet specification of your Oculus Quest 2 is a 5 GHz router. And the second one is to have an Internet speed of at least 225 Mbps.
These standards ensure that your VR gaming experience will be as smooth as possible. Because you’ll avoid the following:
- Long loading time.
- Laggy online gameplay.
- Extremely high latency or longer delay.
Know that these specifications aren’t official standards set by the device developers. Meaning you can still use your Oculus Quest 2 even if you don’t meet them.
Instead, they’re simply what I’ve found to be the best conditions when playing on this VR device.
Note: Using a 2.4 GHz band when using a Link cable to connect your headset to the PC is fine. But for wireless connections, a 5GHz WiFi is recommended.
“But why aren’t there official Internet requirements?”
Well, after setting up your VR headset…
You don’t even need to connect your Oculus Quest 2 to your WiFi. Because you have the option to play offline games on your VR device.
As a result…
Meta, the creator of this device, didn’t release official guidelines on how fast your Internet needs to be.
However, after a trial and error process with several Oculus Quest 2 apps, I’ve realized this:
Using a 5 GHz router with at least 225 Mbps download speed is the best way to enjoy this VR gear.
Now, most people aren’t entirely sure about:
- How fast their Internet is.
- What type of router they have.
But don’t worry. I’m here to help you easily achieve these 2 Internet requirements.
First, let’s start by…
Figuring out if you have a 5 GHz router or not
The most common WiFi frequencies are 5 GHz and 2.4 GHz.
Now, one isn’t necessarily better than the other. Because both simply serve different purposes.
Specifically, a 2.4 GHz frequency covers a larger area with a lower data rate/speed. While a 5 GHz router’s signals travel shorter distances but with a much faster connection.
You may watch this video for a more in-depth comparison of these frequencies:
Unsurprisingly, a 5 GHz WiFi is the best choice for your Oculus Quest 2. Because as long as your VR headset is near your router…
You’re going to get a much faster Internet speed for your device.
And now that you already know why this type of connection is necessary…
Here’s how you can check if your router is 5 GHz:
- Open your mobile device’s Settings app.
- Select Network & Internet.
- Choose Internet or Wi-Fi.
- Click the gear icon on the right side of your network’s name.
- Check your WiFi’s frequency besides the option “Network speed” or “Frequency.”
Note: You can’t directly check your network band using iOS devices.
- Prepare a PC/laptop.
- Connect this device to your home network.
- Click the Wi-Fi icon on the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Tap your home network’s name.
- Select Properties.
- When a new window appears, scroll down.
- Under the heading Properties, locate Network band.
- Check the information on its right side (2.4 GHz or 5 GHz).
Read also: Oculus Windows 11 fix
Now, most routers are called dual-band.
Which means they have both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz frequency options.
So, even if you’re currently connected to 2.4 GHz, don’t worry. You can still…
Check if your WiFi has a 5 GHz band:
- Prepare an iOS or Android device.
- Go to your gadget’s Settings app.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Check how many versions of your network there are.
If you see 2 or more types of your WiFi…
You should connect your Oculus Quest 2 to the 5 GHz version of your network.
Note: This is the WiFi with 5 or 5 GHz in its name.
However, if you’ve previously seen that your network has 2.4 GHz…
And you only see 1 version of your WiFi, your router doesn’t have a 5 GHz band.
So, if you want to give your Oculus Quest 2 the fastest Internet speed…
Contact your ISP and ask if you can upgrade your router to a dual-band model.
Note: Your VR headset will still connect to your router, even if it’s 2.4 GHz. However, you’ll get lots of interference. As a result, you’ll experience higher latency or delay and frequent glitches.
That said, let’s proceed to…
Checking if your Internet speed is at least 225 Mbps
As mentioned earlier, your WiFi needs to be this fast to avoid loading interruptions.
So, simply follow these steps to…
Find out how fast your Internet is:
- Connect any mobile device or PC to your WiFi.
- Open its browser.
- Go to speedtest.net.
- Tap the GO icon in the middle.
- Wait for the results to appear.
If you got a download speed of at least 225 Mbps…
Then, you can proceed to the next section to connect your Oculus Quest 2 to your WiFi.
However, if you got lower results from the speed test…
Follow these tips to improve your Internet connection:
Tip 1: Power cycle your router
Unplug it from the outlet.
Then, wait for at least a minute before reconnecting it to its power source.
Tip 2: Put your router in an open area
Ideally, this location should be at the center of your house.
This way, most of your devices can access better signals.
Pro tip: Use your Oculus Quest 2 while less than 20 feet away from your router.
Tip 3: Remove other devices from your network
By doing so, your VR headset won’t have too much competition to get WiFi signals.
Pro tip: Changing your WiFi password is the quickest way to do this.
Note: If your connection is still slow after following these tips, contact your ISP. You might need to upgrade your Internet plan to reach a connection speed of 225 Mbps.
Editor’s pick: Does Oculus Work With Chromecast? 5 Things You Need To Know
How to connect Oculus Quest 2 to WiFi?
To connect Oculus Quest 2 to WiFi, turn ON your VR device and head to its Quick Settings. After that, select Wi-Fi from your options. Then, connect to your home network by inputting its password.
If you want more detailed instructions, here are the…
9 easy steps to connect your VR headset to the WiFi
- Turn ON your Oculus Quest 2 and wear it.
- Tap the OculusHome button on your right controller (it looks like an oval).
- Wait for the universal menu to show up.
- On the left side of your screen, hover over the clock.
- Launch Quick Settings.
- Choose Wi-Fi.
- Turn ON the toggle beside your VR headset’s Wi-Fi function.
- Select your home network from the list.
- Tap Connect.
Now, you can play multiplayer or online games on your Oculus Quest 2 without a hitch.