One of the best features of iPhones is its voice assistant, Siri.
Would another voice AI like Alexa even work on iPhones?
And more importantly…
Does it even make sense to use Alexa on an iPhone?
Well, I’ve got the answers for you.
Continue reading to find out:
- 7 amazing things you can do with Alexa and iPhone.
- What iOS and iPhone versions are compatible with Alexa.
- Easy troubleshooting steps if Alexa’s not working on your iPhone.
- And a lot more…
- Is Alexa compatible with iPhone?
- 7 things you can do with iPhone and Alexa
- How to use Alexa with an iPhone?
- Why is Alexa not compatible with my iPhone?
Is Alexa compatible with iPhone?
Alexa is compatible with iPhone. You’ll only need to download the Alexa app from the App Store. And then sign in with your Amazon account. Among the things you can do with Alexa and iPhone include playing music and making calls. In addition, you’d also be able to control Alexa-enabled smart devices.
7 things you can do with iPhone and Alexa
#1: Ask questions
One of the best things about Alexa is you can ask her just about anything.
And for the most part, she’ll answer with accurate information.
Want to know the weather forecast? The score of an ongoing football game? Or the nearest sushi shop from your home?
She’ll be able to answer all of those on your iPhone.
As with any Alexa device, just start by saying Alexa. Followed by your question.
She should then respond accordingly.
#2: Control Alexa-enabled smart home devices
Alexa is most famous for being able to control smart home devices. Such as:
With your iPhone, it’s also possible to control all of those Alexa-enabled devices. Just like with Echo or other gadgets with built-in Alexa.
You may also add or remove devices from the Alexa iPhone app.
Here’s a video demonstrating how to control Alexa devices on an iPhone:
#3: Play music and podcasts
Aside from Prime Music, Alexa is also compatible with 3rd party platforms like:
So if you’re using any of those on your iPhone, Alexa can definitely help.
She can do all of those amazing music commands on your phone.
She can turn on your playlist. Pause or skip songs or podcasts. Or give you music or station recommendations.
Just make sure to link these apps on the Alexa iPhone app.
- Launch the Alexa app on your iPhone.
- Select Link Music Services.
- Tap the Link New Service option.
- Select the music or podcast service you’d like to link.
- Tap the Enable to Use button.
- Log in with your account details.
#4: Make calls to your contacts
With Alexa, you also won’t have to go through your iPhone contacts.
You can just ask her to call for you.
You’ll only have to give her access to your contacts.
To do that:
- Click Communicate on the Alexa app Home page.
- Tap the Contacts icon on the upper-right part of the screen.
- Tap the Contacts Settings icon. The one with 3 dots.
- Select Import Contacts and enable it.
- Select Contact Access and click All Contacts.
#5: Create a to-do list
We now live in a very fast-paced world. That’s why it’s easy to forget things that we’re supposed to do.
But with Alexa, you can easily create a to-do list on your iPhone.
Simply tell Alexa what you want to add to your do-to-list. And she’ll automatically include it.
To do this, go to the home page of the Alexa app. And then say whatever you’d like to add to the list.
For example, you need to buy sugar at the grocery store.
So say, “Alexa, add ‘buy sugar’ on my to-do list.”
#6: Search and launch apps
Another neat thing Alexa can do is search and launch apps on your iPhone.
It can be a chore to type and search for an app.
With Alexa on your iPhone, you can simply ask her to do it for you.
For example, if you want to install the Netflix app on your iPhone…
You’ll only have to say, “Alexa, search for Netflix.”
The Netflix page on the App Store should then open.
And the process is similar when starting an app.
If you want to launch the iPhone’s GarageBand app, for instance…
Just say, “Alexa, open GarageBand.” And it’ll open immediately.
#7: Make orders on Amazon
Alexa can also help with your Amazon shopping on your iPhone.
This is one of those things that Siri won’t be able to do. And why it also makes sense to add Alexa on your iPhone.
Want to buy something from Amazon?
Just ask Alexa on your iPhone if the item’s available.
And if it is, she can add it to your cart. Or buy it using your supplied card.
You’ll just need to enable the Voice Purchasing settings on the app.
These are the steps to do so:
- From the Alexa app’s home screen, tap More.
- Select Settings.
- Tap the Account Settings option.
- Select Voice Purchasing.
- Select Payment method and add your card.
- Select Purchase Controls.
- Tap the Anyone with a voice code option.
- Create a 4-digit code and save it.
Note: The 4-digit code is for your protection. This prevents others from using your Alexa app to make an order.
How to use Alexa with an iPhone?
To use Alexa with an iPhone, download and install the Alexa app. You can find it on the App Store. After downloading, log in using your Amazon account. And ensure that you allow Alexa to access your iPhone’s mic and Bluetooth. You should then be able to start using Alexa via voice control.
How to download and install Alexa to your iPhone
- From iPhone’s Home screen, open the App Store.
- Tap the search bar on the top of the screen.
- Type in “Alexa” and hit the Search button.
- Tap the Get button on the right of the Alexa app.
- Tap Open.
- Click OK to allow Alexa to access your iPhone’s Bluetooth.
- Sign in with your Amazon account.
Then follow the prompt. The app will ask you to enter or verify info such as your name and phone number.
It’ll also ask permission to access your contacts. As well as whether you’d allow alerts and notifications.
After that, you’re all set. You may begin using Alexa on your iPhone.
Just say Alexa followed by your voice command.
You may also tap the blue Alexa circle. And then start talking.
Further reading: How Much Does Alexa Cost Per Month? 7 Hidden Costs
Why is Alexa not compatible with my iPhone?
Alexa isn’t compatible with your iPhone because you have an outdated iOS or an old iPhone model. The Alexa app will only work on iOS version 11.0 or higher. And iOS 11 is only compatible with iPhone 6 and newer models.
So if your phone is an iPhone 5 or older, unfortunately, Alexa won’t work. And there’s no workaround available.
But if you have at least an iPhone 6, and Alexa isn’t working…
Check your iOS version first.
How to check your iOS version
- From the Home screen, tap the Settings icon.
- Select General.
- Select About.
You should be able to see your software version.
If your iOS is older than 11.0, then go ahead and update it.
But first, ensure that your phone’s connected to the internet. And that your battery’s at least at 50%.
How to update your iOS
- Tap the Settings icon on your Home screen.
- Tap General.
- Tap Software Update.
- Click Download and Install.
The download and installation process should then begin. And your iPhone will restart multiple times during the process.
Another effective way to troubleshoot Alexa on an iPhone is to delete and reinstall the app.
How to delete and reinstall Alexa on an iPhone
- Tap and hold the Alexa app.
- Click the Remove App option.
- Select Delete App.
- Tap Delete to confirm.
- From the Home screen, launch the App Store.
- Tap the Search icon.
- Type in “Alexa” in the search bar.
- Click the Search button.
- Tap the Get button beside the Alexa app.