Over the past few years, more and more homes worldwide are making use of smart technology such as smart thermostats.
However, before you take the plunge and switch to a smart thermostat, consider whether your heating system is compatible with it.
For instance, can a smart thermostat be used with any boiler?
Smart thermostats can be used with most any modern boiler. However, some older or damaged boilers will not connect to a smart thermostat. Before buying a smart thermostat, be sure to check its compatibility to ensure it will work with your heating system.
This article explores everything you need to know about connecting a smart thermostat to a boiler.
It also considers the advantages of using smart thermostats and the best ones currently on the market.
How To Check if a Smart Thermostat Is Compatible With a Boiler
Smart thermostats connect with boilers and other heating systems and with your smart device.
Users can then set the heating system temperature using the smart thermostat app on their phones.
There are several ways to check if your boiler can be connected to a smart thermostat.
If your boiler is already connected to a regular thermostat, it is likely compatible with a smart thermostat. Most smart thermostats need to be connected to existing thermostats to function.
You can also consider how old your boiler is. Boilers that are a few decades old may not be compatible with smart technology like smart thermostats.
If your boiler is significantly run down, it may not be a good idea to connect it with a smart thermostat.
The boiler’s hardware may be more likely to deteriorate, which will affect its connection with the smart thermostat. It may be wiser to repair your boiler before connecting it.
The type of boiler you have is also relevant.
Most oil and gas boilers will connect to a smart thermostat unless they are over a decade old. However, smart thermostats can’t be used with plug-in electric boilers.
The best way to determine if your smart thermostat can be used with your boiler is to consult with a handyperson or electrician.
They have a deep understanding of different thermostats and boilers in the market and judge if they are compatible.
How To Connect a Smart Thermostat to Your Boiler
Once you’ve confirmed that your smart thermostat can be used with your boiler, you may be tempted to connect it yourself.
Resist that temptation and call in your electrician!
Electricians will be able to connect your smart thermostat to your boiler safely.
They also tend to have insurance packages that will cover any damage that happens during the installation.
Some companies that sell smart thermostats partner with electricians to install their thermostats in customers’ homes.
The smart thermostat may need a battery or a power source to work. It will also need to be connected to a WiFi network.
You may also wonder: Will Nest Thermostat work without power?
Why Should You Connect a Smart Thermostat to Your Boiler?
While you now know that it is possible to connect your smart thermostat with a boiler, you may be wondering why you should consider a smart thermostat in the first place.
Smart thermostats are popular for a variety of reasons:
- Ease of use. A study conducted in 2020 found that users of smart thermostats appreciate how easy they are to use. They can be controlled with a few taps on users’ devices, allowing users to make the temperature in their homes more comfortable without needing to get up!
- You have reduced energy consumption. Because it is easier to use smart thermostats, your energy consumption may decrease as you will be able to turn on and off your heating system remotely. That way, if you forget to turn off the heating before a weekend away, you can easily switch it off from your smart device.
- Cost savings. Reduced energy consumption.
- Geolocation features. Some smart thermostats record your device’s geolocation and will send you alerts to turn on or off the heating if you are leaving or coming home.
- Weather detection. Similarly, many smart thermostat apps will recognize the weather and send users a suggestion to adjust temperatures based on the weather.
However, be mindful of the number of times that you change the temperature in your home.
A study found that users of smart thermostats are more likely to change the set temperature on their heating systems frequently.
Be sure not to fall into that trap as you’ll increase your energy consumption!
What Are Some Popular Smart Thermostat Models?
If you’re sold on buying a smart thermostat, there are several excellent models on the market. Remember to check if they are compatible with your boiler before purchasing them.
Here are some of the best models:
Ecobee SmartThermostat with Voice Control
This thermostat connects to the Ecobee app, which is easy to navigate.
Other features of this thermostat include:
- A built-in occupancy sensor. The sensor allows the thermostat to recognize the movement in a room and adjust temperature settings to make the room comfortable.
- It integrates with Alexa that allows it to detect voice commands.
- It senses humidity and adjusts temperature settings accordingly.
The Ecobee SmartThermostat is compatible with most boilers. Check Ecobee’s user manual to check its compatibility with your specific boiler.
Learn more about this thermostat on Amazon.
Google Nest Learning Thermostat
This thermostat is a part of Google’s SmartHome technology suite.
Some of its best features include:
- The capacity to learn your schedule and preferences allows it to automate its functioning to suit your routine.
- HVAC monitoring alerts users if it detects a problem with heating or cooling systems.
- The ability to connect to phones, laptops, and tablets.
- Easy and safe to install
The Google Nest Learning Thermostat works with most boilers. To check whether your boiler is compatible, use Google’s handy, customizable compatibility tool.
Learn more about this thermostat on Amazon.
Reading recommendation: Can Google Home / Nest Be Hacked? 6 Dangers + 10 Tips
Bosch BCC100 Connected Control Smart Phone WiFi Thermostat
Produced by Bosch Thermotechnology, this thermostat can be connected to Alexa and mobile phones and can be voice-controlled. Other stand out featured include:
- An easy-to-navigate touch screen
- The ability to recognize and control a room’s humidity
- Compatible with Google Assistant and a variety of smart devices
This thermostat is compatible with boilers but requires a C wire to power it. Ensure you check with your electrician to confirm that you can install a C-wire.
Learn more about this thermostat or purchase it on Amazon.
WYZE Smart WiFi Thermostat for Home
Priced at less than $100, this thermostat is one of the most pocket-friendly ones on the market.
That said, it doesn’t sacrifice features.
Some of its noteworthy features include:
- The ability to connect to Alexa and Google so that it can pick up on voice commands.
- The ability for users to create schedules in advance to program heating and cooling requirements.
- The app conducts regular data analyses and suggests ways of reducing energy consumption, saving you money, and reducing your eco-footprint.
While the Wyze thermostat can be used with many boilers, it is wise to check compatibility before purchasing one.
Visit Wyze.com to assess your boiler and the Wyze thermostat’s compatibility.
This thermostat can be purchased on Amazon.
Smart thermostats are compatible with most modern boilers, especially if connected to a regular thermostat.
There are several great smart thermostats currently on the market, but you should check if they can be used with your boiler before buying one.
Visit the smart thermostats websites or ask your electrician to be able to make your purchase confidently.
Read next: Do Smart Thermostats Work With Heat Pumps? 9 Facts Revealed