Installing home security cameras used to be complicated.
But with the latest inventions like the Blink cameras…
It’s never been easier to own and install your security system.
So if you have 1 on hand…
I’ll gladly tell you how you can set up your Blink outdoor camera.
Continue reading to learn:
- 9 easy steps to set up your Blink outdoor camera.
- How you can connect your camera to your sync module.
- How you should position your outdoor camera to maximize efficiency.
- And more…
How to set up a Blink outdoor camera?
To set up a Blink outdoor camera, you need to download the Blink app. Then, you need to create an account to set up your Sync Module. Once you’ve registered your module, add the outdoor camera to your system and decide where you want to place it.
9 steps to set up your Blink outdoor camera
Setting up a Blink outdoor camera is a smooth and easy process.
Just follow along with this guide…
And your camera system will be running before the hour’s over.
But before you proceed to the 1st step…
Make sure that you:
- Have a mobile device.
- Have a Blink outdoor camera pack.
- Can connect to a reliable WiFi network.
Once you have these ready, you can go ahead and…
#1: Download the Blink App
Only mobile devices can support the Blink system of your cameras.
But the good thing about this is…
It’s much easier to set up mobile apps than computer software.
So, you’re very lucky.
Because from downloading the app to installing the cameras themselves…
You’ll never have a hard time.
The process of installing the Blink mobile app will depend on the model of your phone.
So, I prepared different steps for Android and iOS users.
They’re both equally as easy to do, so don’t worry.
For iOS users:
- On your device, open the App Store.
- At the bottom-right of your screen, tap Search.
- On the search bar, type “Blink Home Monitor.”
- Click on the app and tap the GET button.
- If it asks for your password or passcode, input your credentials.
- Wait for the download process to finish.
Alternatively, you can directly access the app here.
For Android users:
- Open the Play Store app.
- In the search bar, type “Blink Home Monitor.”
- Tap Install.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.
- Wait for the process to be completed.
Note: There might be slight variations to this process for Android users. The exact steps will depend on the brand or model of your device.
But if you have Android v6.0 or later, you can just click here to get direct access to the app.
You might want to know: What Is the Difference Between a Smartphone and an Android?
#2: Create an Account
Now that you have the Blink app…
You need to create your Blink account.
Luckily, this process is quick and easy to go through.
All you have to do is:
- Launch the Blink app on your device.
- At the bottom of your screen, tap on Create Account.
- Tap on the drop-down menu and select your country.
- Confirm your location and select OK.
- Enter the valid email address you’d like to use.
- Select Next.
- Make a password that follows the app’s requirements.
- Enter your password twice.
- Click Create Account.
After creating your account…
You need to complete the account verification process.
There are 2 ways you can do this:
- Verifying through email.
- Verifying through a phone number.
If the app asks you to verify through your email:
- Go to the inbox of your account’s email.
- Look for the email sent by Blink.
- Copy or memorize the pin code mentioned.
- Paste or type out the code in the Blink mobile app.
- Tap Verify.
If the app presents you with a cellphone number entry:
- Input your cellphone number.
- Choose if you want to receive your code by text or voice call.
- Tap Next.
- Wait for the SMS message or call from Blink.
- Take note of the code sent to you.
- Enter the code in the Blink app and click Verify.
After verifying your account, you’ll be prompted to…
#3 Link your Amazon Account
Linking your Amazon account to your Blink is optional.
But if you want to manage your Blink subscription plans easily…
Then this linking process will be beneficial for you.
Don’t worry. This is the quickest step of the camera installation process.
All you have to do is:
- Click Link Accounts.
- Sign up or sign in to your Amazon account.
And just like that, you’ll be able to link the 2 accounts.
But if you wish to do this at a later time…
You can easily do so by tapping the Skip option on your screen.
#4: Prepare your items
Now that you have your app and account set up…
You’ll be able to connect your camera with ease.
Prepare your items so you can easily grab them when you need to.
If you haven’t taken your Blink outdoor camera out of its box yet, do so now.
And ensure that it includes the following items:
- A Sync Module.
- Some AA batteries.
- Your Blink camera or cameras.
- The cord and adapter of the sync module.
Remove any of their films or coverings and proceed to…
#5: Set up your sync module
If you’re wondering what the sync module is for…
It’s the 1 responsible for relaying commands to your Blink camera.
And although it has a smaller build than the latter…
Your cameras won’t function without 1.
It’s a powerful device necessary for your phone to access your camera’s data.
But even though it’s responsible for the complicated stuff…
Fret not. It’s effortless to set up.
The 1st thing you have to do is add your sync module to your system.
And to do so:
Step 1: Open the Blink app on your mobile device.
Step 2: Tap the plus (+) button on the upper-right part of your screen.
Step 3: From the list of devices, select Blink wireless camera system.
Step 4: A window will pop up asking for camera access. Tap OK.
Step 5: Input your Sync Module’s serial number manually or through a QR code.
Note: If you can’t locate your serial number, tap the “Help me find my QR code…” at the bottom of your screen.
Once you’ve input your QR code…
Step 6: Name your new system and confirm it.
Step 7: Plug your sync module into an outlet.
All you have to do is:
- Insert the power cord from your box to the adapter.
- Plug the other end of the cord into your sync module.
- Find an outlet close to your WiFi router.
- Plug the adapter into the outlet.
And once you’ve plugged your module into the power source…
Step 8: Wait for the signal light pattern to appear on your module.
The pattern you’re looking for is:
- A blinking blue light.
- A steady green light.
Step 9: Once you see the pattern, click Discover Device.
Note: If you can’t see it, you might need to reset your sync module.
Step 10: On the window that pops up, select Join.
Step 11: You’ll see the list of nearby 2.4 GHz WiFi networks.
Step 12: Tap on your WiFi name. Enter the password and click Join.
Step 13: Tap Done.
You’ll be redirected back to the home screen of your Blink app.
At this point, you’ll be able to see your system’s name at the top of your screen.
And you can also see your sync module’s status.
Ensure that the line between the cloud and the module’s symbol is green.
This means that your device and your module are communicating properly.
Now that you’ve set up your module…
You can add your camera to the system.
But before you can do so, you need to…
#6: Insert batteries into your Blink camera
If you’re setting up a brand new Blink outdoor camera…
Then there’ll already be suitable batteries included inside the box.
But if for some reason you need to use replacement batteries…
Make sure that they’re:
- Size AA.
- Made of Lithium.
Warning: Don’t use Lithium-Ion (Li-ion) rechargeable batteries. They can damage or cause issues with your Blink camera.
Once you have the correct batteries…
Here are the steps to insert them into your camera:
Step 1: Remove any mounts or accessories connected to your device.
Step 2: At the back of your camera, remove the silicon disk covering the screw.
Step 3: Unscrew your camera using the opening tool included in your box.
Turn the screw counter-clockwise to loosen it up.
If you don’t have the opening tool…
You can also use a flathead screwdriver or a coin as an alternative.
Step 4: With your fingers, gently pry the cover open.
Slightly lean the camera to its side, so the cover can come off easily.
Once you’ve removed the back cover…
If you want a visual guide to removing your camera’s cover, you can also watch this video:
Step 5: Insert your non-rechargeable batteries.
Once you’ve installed them…
Pro tip: Don’t close off your camera’s back cover yet.
You’ll notice a tag between the battery slots of your camera.
That’s where your device’s QR code and serial number are located, and you need that for the next step.
So before you go ahead and close your unit…
#7: Add your outdoor camera to your Blink system
Go back to the Blink app on your mobile device.
Then, add your camera to the system by following these simple steps:
- Click the plus (+) option in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Select Blink wireless camera.
- Scan the QR code in between your camera’s batteries.
- Once it’s recognized, you’ll see the onboarding screen of your camera.
Editor’s pick: 11 Steps To Use Mobile As CCTV Camera Without Internet
#8: Return the back cover of your camera
Now that you’ve added your camera to the system…
You can close it again so you can prepare to set it up.
To return the back cover of your camera:
- Align the back cover to your camera using the guide notches.
- Place the back cover in place.
- Once it’s in position, turn the screw to the right or clockwise.
- Turn it around 3 times to make it tight enough.
Note: Don’t overtighten the screw as this could cause external damage to the camera.
#9: Position your camera
All that’s left to do now is to position your camera.
There are no definite rules in doing this step…
But here are some tips that can help you have a better camera placement:
- Avoid pointing your camera at busy streets.
- Place it within 100 feet of your sync module.
- Don’t point your camera toward the sun’s direction.
What I like about the Blink system is that…
You can always add more cameras to it in the future.
So if you ever decide that you need another camera to cover a particular area…
You can easily add it to the system by following steps #6 to #9 again.
People also ask:
How do I connect my outdoor Blink camera?
To connect your outdoor Blink camera, you need to go to the Blink app on your phone.
Click the plus sign and tap on Blink wireless camera from the list.
Then, scan your device’s QR code or type its serial number.
Once the app recognizes your device, your camera will connect to your app’s Blink system.
How far away from the house can you put a Blink camera?
You can put a Blink camera up to 100 feet away from the house. That’s because your Blink camera won’t be able to communicate to your sync module if it’s any further than that.
Do Blink cameras connect to WiFi or sync module?
Blink cameras connect to both WiFi and sync module. The live feed won’t be accessible to your mobile device without WiFi. And without the sync module, your phone won’t be able to access your Blink camera.
Is there a monthly fee for a Blink outdoor camera?
There’s no monthly fee for a Blink outdoor camera. But if you want to apply for a Blink subscription plan, you can.
Subscribing to a plan lets you access extra functions. Some examples of these are video sharing and motion detection video recording. But paying a monthly fee is optional, not mandatory.